Formerly open relay dodo.mail.pas.earthlink.net [207.217.120.99]

I've been blacklisted too and I'm not a spammer. How do I get off this list? The website is woefully inadequate. I can't reply to the e-mail I was sent because it comes back that I'm blocked.

Here is my blocked IP address: 207.217.120.99

My domain has been used by that new virus MyDoom, but it's spoofed. I'm not a spammer.

I'm trying to communicate with a friend traveling in Israel. Please do this quick!

I posted earlier because I have been blacklisted. My domain is hosted by Earthlink. My IP address is 207.217.120.99

I know that the Earthlink mail server got hit by the Novarg or MyDoom virus yesterday. I have received hundreds of Mailer Daemon returned mail since yesterday. There are all sorts of names[at]houseofwaterdancer.com The only legitimate one is lynda[at]........

Could this be why I am blocked?

I need to get unblocked. First of all, this could be deadly for my business. I know that Earthlink has a spam blocking program and you can have yourself removed by clicking on a link in a similar message as I received from SpamCop, but you have to type in some characters that are in a .gif image. Spamming computers can't do that, so that is how they allow innocent victims to restore their reputation and go on with their business.

SpamCop needs something. I would hate to have to waste any further time by reporting this to my state's Attorney General's office. But I will.

So, please get me off this black list.

I posted earlier because I have been blacklisted. My domain is hosted by Earthlink. My IP address is 207.217.120.99

Generally best to start a new thread so people don't get confused as to what they are responding to.

I know that the Earthlink mail server got hit by the Novarg or MyDoom virus yesterday. I have received hundreds of Mailer Daemon returned mail since yesterday. There are all sorts of names[at]houseofwaterdancer.com The only legitimate one is lynda[at]........

Could this be why I am blocked?

Unlikely.

SpamCop needs something. I would hate to have to waste any further time by reporting this to my state's Attorney General's office. But I will.

http://openrbl.org/ip/207/217/120/99.htm

The Earthlink machine appears to be an open relay at the moment, meaning that *anyone* can send mail from it -- and apparently has. Your issue is with Earthlink -- not spamcop.

Generally making threats of legal action when one does not understand the issues involved makes one look less than professional. Spamcop has done nothing other than publish a list of IP addresses that people have complained about.

So, please get me off this black list.

The listing will be removed about 48 hours after the most recent spam complaint.

I don't know what you are saying is "unlikely", but I know for certain that Earthlink's mail server got hit by that virus yesterday because I was on the phone with my domain support because I wasn't getting e-mails. They explained that they got hit by the virus and mail would be backed up for a while.

I know that my system is clean, so your "unlikely" possibly insinuating that it is me not Earthlink falls flat.

Publishing my business name as a spammer when it isn't is a legal matter. That is called defamatory libel. I do understand the issues, as they pertain to me.

Restricting my access is yet another matter.

SpamCop needs something like Earthlink has (the .gif image password) so that innocent folks won't be harmed by this. Viruses/worms are a part of our everyday life. If the SpamCop system cannot address that and shuts out and defames innocent people, without a workaround, that's a failure of their system design.

If the virus/worm keeps replicating in my name, I will be blacklisted into infinity + 48 hours. Does anyone get what this problem is????

I've been blacklisted too and I'm not a spammer.  How do I get off this list?  The website is woefully inadequate.  I can't reply to the e-mail I was sent because it comes back that I'm blocked.

Here is my blocked IP address:  207.217.120.99

This server is an open relay and listed in relays.ordb.org. We're the least of your problems because you'll be listed in blacklists all over the internet. You need to figure out how to close the relay on that server. The SpamCop blacklisting will expire automatically once the spam reports stop.

JT

I don't know what you are saying is "unlikely", but I know for certain that Earthlink's mail server got hit by that virus yesterday because I was on the phone with my domain support because I wasn't getting e-mails.  They explained that they got hit by the virus and mail would be backed up for a while.

I know that my system is clean, so your "unlikely" possibly insinuating that it is me not Earthlink falls flat.

Publishing my business name as a spammer when it isn't is a legal matter.  That is called defamatory libel.  I do understand the issues, as they pertain to me.

SpamCop needs something like Earthlink has (the .gif image password) so that innocent folks won't be harmed by this.  Viruses/worms are a part of our everyday life.  If the SpamCop system cannot address that and shuts out and defames innocent people, without a workaround, that's a failure of their system design.

If the virus/worm keeps replicating in my name, I will be blacklisted into infinity + 48 hours.  Does anyone get what this problem is????

I think you've responded in the wrong topic. But I answered your question here where I said your IP address is listed as an open relay. That's your real problem. Spammers are sending spam through your server without your knowledge.

JT

I don't know what you are saying is "unlikely", but I know for certain that Earthlink's mail server got hit by that virus yesterday because I was on the phone with my domain support because I wasn't getting e-mails.  They explained that they got hit by the virus and mail would be backed up for a while.

Unlikely that the listing was due to the virus.

Their server is an open relay -- meaning *anyone* can send junkmail through it.

Publishing my business name as a spammer when it isn't is a legal matter.  That is called defamatory libel.  I do understand the issues, as they pertain to me.

Spamcop has not published your business name, nor said that *YOU* are a spammer, only that people have reported receiving spam from that particular IP address.

Your access has not been restricted by spamcop. Other mail admins have chosen to consult spamcop. You can contact them by phone, snail mail, or a different email service and ask the to whitelist Earthlink's server.

You should read this post: http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=35

Viruses/worms are a part of our everyday life.

This spamcop issue has nothing to do with viruses. It's a technical issue that Earthlink can resolve.

If the virus/worm keeps replicating in my name, I will be blacklisted into infinity + 48 hours.

Spamcop does not list people's email addresses.

Despite clicking to keep me logged in, I get logged out automatically.

Despite selecting that I wanted my privacy and not to show I'm here, it shows I'm here.

I posted this in the wrong place after I got bucked out:

---------

I don't know what you are saying is "unlikely", but I know for certain that Earthlink's mail server got hit by that virus yesterday because I was on the phone with my domain support because I wasn't getting e-mails. They explained that they got hit by the virus and mail would be backed up for a while.

Publishing my business name as a spammer when it isn't is a legal matter. That is called defamatory libel. I do understand the issues, as they pertain to me.

SpamCop needs something like Earthlink has (the .gif image password) so that innocent folks won't be harmed by this. Viruses/worms are a part of our everyday life. If the SpamCop system cannot address that and shuts out and defames innocent people, without a workaround, that's a failure of their system design.

If the virus/worm keeps replicating in my name, I will be blacklisted into infinity + 48 hours. Does anyone get what this problem is????

-------

I haven't been notified by any other SpamCop type businesses that I've been blacklisted. Earthlink is one of the largest ISP's in the United States. Is everyone at Earthlink blacklisted? I do not understand what this "open relay" or any of the other distinctions in this world of anti-spam software, etc. I'm just someone trying to do my business (legitimately) and communicate with a friend who is traveling in Israel.

I haven't been notified by any other SpamCop type businesses that I've been blacklisted.  Earthlink is one of the largest ISP's in the United States.  Is everyone at Earthlink blacklisted?

It's definitely an open relay as you can see from the test posted here. Sorry, yell at Earthlink about this, not us. They shouldn't be running an open relay.

You can read about open relays at http://www.mail-abuse.org

And, as always, we don't block any email. Your email from Earthlink to your friend doesn't go through our servers. We publish a list of systems that are sending spam and this is on it. It's the server in Israel that is bouncing the email.

JT

Despite clicking to keep me logged in, I get logged out automatically.

I can't duplicate the problem, though did run into a "Flood Control" issue a bit ago. As the newsgroups were also not accessible a bit ago, there may be some server issues at present.

Despite selecting that I wanted my privacy and not to show I'm here, it shows I'm here.

Just guessing here, but I'm going to say that you can't hide from yourself. Others would see the "Anonymous User" on their screens. Again, just guessing.

Probably meaning that their mail servers were swamped with traffic.

I'm having problems seeing that anyone said that to you. Thus far, what's been pointed out is an open relay at Earthlink.

And again, the only place I've seen your business name is in your postings. Thus far, discussion (by everyone else) has been about the IP address you defined, which seems to ba the address of an Earthlink mail server. So, I'll have to disagree that you understand the issues at this point. Sorry.

Not a clue what you're talking about, in all honesty. Basic item is that virii aren't a reportable via the SpamCop tool. That the Earthlink mail server is a wide-open relay, thus readily open to abuse, is the immediate problem.

Answered a number of times already as to what the problem is. What you've not caught yet is that it isn't "you" that's been hit, it's e-mail coming from that screwed up Earthlink mail server. Your "name" has very little to do with anything.

I haven't been notified by any other SpamCop type businesses that I've been blacklisted.  Earthlink is one of the largest ISP's in the United States.  Is everyone at Earthlink blacklisted?  I do not understand what this "open relay" or any of the other distinctions in this world of anti-spam software, etc.  I'm just someone trying to do my business (legitimately) and communicate with a friend who is traveling in Israel.

As you admit to knowing nothing of the ways of e-mail, it'd be hard to see how you'd ever be notified by anyone about anything of this nature. Even if you had registered with abuse,net, the action item is an Earthlink mail server, so that's where the complaints would end up. The fact that it's now seen as an open relay suggests that it's going to find its way into other Blocking Lists, so e-mail delivery is going to become even more problematic, as even more ISP's are going to start rejecting any e-mail coming from that IP address.

Formerly open relay dodo.mail.pas.earthlink.net [207.217.120.99] is no longer answering.

I am splitting this Topic because the post about that relay was OT.

Please see the "Pinned: FAQ Entry: Why is my email blocked?" Topic at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=35 for more information.

Thanks!

Formerly open relay dodo.mail.pas.earthlink.net [207.217.120.99] is no longer answering.

I am splitting this Topic because the post about that relay was OT.

Please see the "Pinned: FAQ Entry: Why is my email blocked?" Topic at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=35 for more information.

Thanks!

Yes, but .... there's a lot of "answering" traffic in the Forum he/she started this in.

And that this Topic shows that he/she started it, there's no tip-off that he/she has a lot of data to chew over in the other Topic. I understand why you'd want to split/move the thread, but .... given that the OP doesn't understand a lot of the issues, suspicions are that the offered suggestions/explanations/etc. are not going to be seen by this individual unless you move all of the associated postings over here.

there's a lot of "answering" traffic in the Forum he/she started this in.

And that this Topic shows that he/she started it, there's no tip-off that he/she has a lot of data to chew over in the other Topic.  I understand why you'd want to split/move the thread, but ....  given that the OP doesn't understand a lot of the issues, suspicions are that the offered suggestions/explanations/etc. are not going to be seen by this individual unless you move all of the associated postings over here.

I have completed merging all of those posts into this Topic. Thank you for alerting me to them.

Archived