spam with no message in the body

jjcpa

i am now getting spam from spammers i have turned into spamcop, with nothing in the body of the message.

when i send it to spam cop, they do not report it because there is no data in the body.

is there a way to report spam, to spam cop when they do not put a message in the body?

basically the spammer is giving me the finger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're running Outlook, I've got some code that does automated reporting to SpamCop, the FTC, Brightmail, SpamAbuse.org, etc. (right now I'm reporting to 8 different spam-fighting entities).

It's got a fix for what you describe (what SpamCop calls the 'Would Send' error).

It's a bit complicated to set up, since it's got so many features, but once it's set up, it's basically three clicks from start to finish to report spams.

It started out as Leon Mayne's SpamCop Outlook Reporting VBA code, but I've done extensive rework on it.

Let me know if you want the code, it's got very detailed installation instructions, so pretty much anybody could set it up, as long as you can follow step-by-step directions.

i am now getting spam from spammers i have turned into spamcop, with nothing in the body of the message.

when i send it to spam cop, they do not report it because there is no data in the body.

is there a way to report spam, to spam cop when they do not put a message in the body?

basically the spammer is giving meĀ  the finger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In general, the normal suggestion is to add a comment where the body would be, something along the lines of "empty spam", "no body content" etc.

The problem is that you've not identifed your tool selection, experience, method of submittal, etc. .. This leads to the possibilities that you're not actually seeing/submitting the actual spam source in total, so there may be other issues at work.

• 2 years later...

In general, the normal suggestion is to add a comment where the body would be, something along the lines of "empty spam", "no body content" etc.

The problem is that you've not identifed your tool selection, experience, method of submittal, etc. .. This leads to the possibilities that you're not actually seeing/submitting the actual spam source in total, so there may be other issues at work.

I've been scanning the forums and FAQ for an answer to the "No body provided, check format of submission" and I'm coming to the conclusion that if I get a "No Body" spam that I should just manually report it and add the "No Body" line in the body.

I submitted these by forwarding them using Thunderbird. When I viewed the message source in TB, the message appeared to be only header that had a From line, but no subject and no message. I always thought these were "test" messages to see if they were valid email addresses. Anyway, I tried to report them and these are the results:

1) http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z976501007z24...3d4749cbd0e051z

2) http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z976500749za3...b8e1cb12c34511z

3) http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z976499779zf8...f73c43a3fba824z

4) http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z976498314z04...d2441968a6c290z

No Body came with them that I can tell.

I submitted these by forwarding them using Thunderbird. When I viewed the message source in TB, the message appeared to be only header that had a From line, but no subject and no message. I always thought these were "test" messages to see if they were valid email addresses.

Have you talked to the (your) ISP about this yet? Asking them to explain why they are passing this kind of e-mail to you? For example, some previous scenarios included the use of a badly configured anti-virus filter whuch stripped ou tthe bodies of infected e-mail but went ahead and 'delivered' what was left ... which of course, was nothing but the headers .....

Have you talked to the (your) ISP about this yet? Asking them to explain why they are passing this kind of e-mail to you? For example, some previous scenarios included the use of a badly configured anti-virus filter whuch stripped ou tthe bodies of infected e-mail but went ahead and 'delivered' what was left ... which of course, was nothing but the headers .....

I haven't talked to them, but I do have virus checking turned on and the "Remove attachments and continue delivery" selected; however according to their side note about virus scanning they say "Infected email is automatically tagged with an "X-Antivirus: Infected by" line in the message headers, indicating which virus/worm was found."

I have seen messages that have viruses and they have (or at least had) been good about tagging the message.

I'll ask them about it and see what they say. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
If you're running Outlook, I've got some code that does automated reporting to SpamCop, the FTC, Brightmail, SpamAbuse.org, etc. (right now I'm reporting to 8 different spam-fighting entities).

HillsCap, I am interested in your code, could you send me a copy with your instructions?

Archived