email address sent to the spammer

daryn

anyone have this?

I got a response to one of my spam submissions, it was sort of a "thanks for your notice, this is a copy of your spam, we'll look into it", but it had my spamcop email address, AND my original email address right in the body of the spam that they are reviewing..

isn't the algorithm supposed to be pulling those email addresses out before it gets sent on?

I'd hate to think that everytime I report a spam I'm sending these guys a confirmation of my email address...

...isn't the algorithm supposed to be pulling those email addresses out before it gets sent on?
There are different report types - munged reports are refused by some admins, if you okay reports to them they go unmunged - have a look at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=31432 and especially the FAQ links you will find as you work down the topic. I don't use/send the SC reports myself but presume this is still current - except it is now supposed to be clear when unmunged reports are about to be sent. Many other posts dealing with the background and development (use the search facility if you need to explore further). Come back "here" if there is anything to be resolved further.

I got a response to one of my spam submissions, it was sort of a "thanks for your notice, this is a copy of your spam, we'll look into it", but it had my spamcop email address, AND my original email address right in the body of the spam that they are reviewing..

Please email me a copy of that ISP response. service[at]admin.spamcop.net

isn't the algorithm supposed to be pulling those email addresses out before it gets sent on?

As far as the body text goes, SpamCop only looks for other instances of the "To" address and deletes them. It ignores any other email addresses in the body text. If your real address wasn't in the "To" field of the spam, then SpamCop won't find and delete it from the body.

- Don -

thanks for the info

fwiw,

the method of reporting I was using is to report from the "held mail" folder

I forwarded the mail to Service as requested...

but I'm also starting to reconsider the value in reporting the spam

presumable if the filter is catching it, then SpamCop already knows about it, and the server has already decided to ignore it

Like it or not if you/we are getting spam It means your/our email address is already being targeted by spammers

Your best form of defence with these mugs is to report them (attack).

Initially spam may increase as spammers share posting lists.

SpamCop reporting does put spammers out of action and causes ISP's to correct security and email server compliance issues

Many ISP's do seek out spammers to take them to court. Seeing the odd news report is evidence that this is happening. SpamCop by notifying ISP's and often other interested parties alerts them to spammers activities

ISP's that are spam friendly and (as in this case) are found to provide personal details of we members, are not then contacted by SpamCop. Meaning they just get added to SpamCop's Blocklist and as always added to more permanent blocklists that do not inform ISP's of listing (Many major providers have secret blocklists that simply bit-bin

• 1 month later...

so I just got a warning from SpamCop about this whole thing..

Apparently the answer is, if you don't change your default settings to some "alias" in your "from" settings, then this happens...

seems simple enough.. I don't understand why if its so basic, that more people don't know about it

so I just got a warning from SpamCop about this whole thing..

Apparently the answer is, if you don't change your default settings to some "alias" in your "from" settings, then this happens...

seems simple enough.. I don't understand why if its so basic, that more people don't know about it

Personally, I can make little sense out of this post ...

Warning for what?

set an alias where?

Personally, I can make little sense out of this post ...

Warning for what?

set an alias where?

Earlier today, I made a point of telling a user that he had put his email address in the "Full Name" setting in his reporting "Preferences." As a result, he was revealing his email address every time he reported spam.

I told him that he should take his email address out of that field and replace it with an alias or handle.

- Don -

Since we never got to see the message you were complaining about, most of did not have a clue as to what you were referring. Don has straightened us out here.

The text of the prompt fir the ailias tells you they are sending this information to the spammers (or their ISP) on the reports: When you send spam reports, SpamCop will send them in your name. Please enter your full name or alias here as you would like it to appear on your reports.

Archived