Help, my hat is darkening!

rconner

I got a spam at work from some idiot with yet another "get-rich-by-doing-nothing" scam. I paste it into SpamCop, which identifies the web provider and duly files a report. A day or so later, I get this mail via the SpamCop temporary address:

Hello,

Thanks for the report, responsible user has been suspended.

Regards,

(name deleted)

Network Security Administrator

ISP Blacklist Administrator

Level 3 Systems Administrator

Hostgator Support

Ticket Details

===================

Ticket ID: DXC-446892

Department: SpamCop Reports

Great, says I, but I check some hours later and find that the site is still up at the same IP. So, I send off a note:

If this is true, then why does the website still load, even after 24 hours since your message? Do you customarily allow suspended users to retain control and use of their websites?

Within a day, I get a reply:

Hello Richard,

Trust me, that's not standard procedure. I had suspended the account but from the server logs, someone went in after I was off shift and unsuspended the account. It's now been suspended again, but with an immutable lock.

Regards,

(same guy)

Hostgator Support

Ticket Details

===================

OK, fair enough, I figure. Yet, the site is still solidly in place at the same address several hours later. So, I hit the reply key again:

Somebody muted the immutable lock. http: // (removed) is still online at 70.87.88.226. as of 8AM eastern time this morning.

This yielded the following rather extraordinary reply:

Hello,

After speaking to the client, it seems they were actually using a purchased mailing list "guaranteed" to be double opt-in. We've informed the client that they were scammed and may be charged a clean up fee for sending out so much spam.

Regards,

(same guy)

Hostgator Support

Ticket Details

===================

Now I begin to get really annoyed. Once again, I reply:

Thank you for the prompt response, unedifying as it may have been. Pardon me, I can't resist replying. This gets better and better.

First, you tell me that HostGator suspended the account, when it manifestly did not.

Then, you told me that the suspension was bypassed, but that you were re-suspending the site with an "immutable lock" (whatever that means). Again, the domain remained apparently unaffected.

Now, you are telling me that you "may be" fining the client for using a bad mailing list, but presumably the issue of suspension has gone out the window.

I'm expecting the next message to say something about the dog having eaten the client's records.

Just exactly which of these stories do you expect me to believe? Why do you consider it so necessary to make me believe them? Why respond at all if HostGqtor really intends to do nothing about the matter?

This is not about me. I really don't care whether HostGator takes action on this report or not. I sent it merely to inform HostGator that one of its users was abusing its posted anti spam policy ("Sites advertised via spam (Spamvertised) may not be hosted on our servers."). Apparently, the policy is toothless, and I now have a pretty good picture of just where HostGator stands on the issue of criminal activity on its networks. So, the whole exercise has at least been a learning experience for me.

I haven't heard back yet (and maybe a reply is forthcoming), but I am beginning to think that this contact via SpamCop was an aberration; evidently the new guy wasn't correctly briefed that he should not reply to rabid SpamCoppers and should just shut up and drink the kool-aid.

I feel a bit sheepish for the sarcasm (which is one reason I deleted the poor guy's name), but nevertheless I'm insulted to be fed such lameness.

--rick

...I feel a bit sheepish for the sarcasm (which is one reason I deleted the poor guy's name), but nevertheless I'm insulted to be fed such lameness.
:lol: Ah yes, but you enjoyed it too, no? The last time I did something like that I promptly received a virus email (through another service) containing a virus which had been removed from NAV's list the previous day. Fortunately Symantec lie (or don't tell the whole truth). A subsequent report to the originating service's abuse address with the background to the matter may have contributed to a short career somewhere ... I like to imagine so, but probably not - they really haven't the time or other resources to play in the margins and I think your assessment as to your correspondent being a keen newbie, yet to pick up the slack, is probably right on the money.

Archived