Login default

Lking

On the forum home page, http://forum[dot]spamcop[dot]net/forums/ on the right side the login windows do not automatically pickup the ID. If I type the first letter of my ID the drop-down list displays the (one) known ID(s). When one is selected the password fills in and I get logged in by pressing GO.

This takes both keyboard and mouse actions.

On the other hand, top center of the page is a login option. When I click that a login window is loaded with ID and password filled in. One more click and I'm logged on with only mouse actions.

It would be nice if the login ID/password windows on the top right of the first screen auto loaded as the login form on http://www[dot]spamcop[dot]net/ does.

The two reasons:

1. As I go through the list of web based forums I monitor it is convenient to login/browse with just the mouse as apposed to a combination of keyboard and mouse. - So I used the login option which bring up

2. By logging in using the, right side option, there would be less bandwidth used. Yes, yes, I know not much different. One of my means of getting on the web is through a VSAT. When using the satellite link there are the latency, limited speed, and limits on through put. I suppose with enough $$ I could resolve the speed and through put limits. The limits on through-put is not a real issue (I'm not into streaming audio/video or downloading movies. However, the latency is just a fact of life.

No dialup, aircards, cell phones are not a real option in all places or all the time.

On the forum home page, http://forum[dot]spamcop[dot]net/forums/ on the right side the login windows do not automatically pickup the ID. If I type the first letter of my ID the drop-down list displays the (one) known ID(s). When one is selected the password fills in and I get logged in by pressing GO.

This sets you up to use #SESSION type cookies .. valid until you close the browser session.

On the other hand, top center of the page is a login option. When I click that a login window is loaded with ID and password filled in. One more click and I'm logged on with only mouse actions.

Use of the "Remeber Me" checkbox causes a "persistent" type of cookie to be witten to your hard-drive, valid until you "logout" or expires due to age.

So in my mind, there's a question as to how you are handling your cookies. Apparently, they are not being deleted, as the data is pulled up, per your description. Is it possible that you have set a browser configuration (or a cookie management tool) to treat 'all' cookies as $SESSION type for example?

It would be nice if the login ID/password windows on the top right of the first screen auto loaded as the login form on http://www[dot]spamcop[dot]net/ does.

Noting that there are the continuous sogtware upgrades coming along (3.0 is out in Beta right now) and I'm currently battling an issue with the Wiki code because the running version is so heavily modified, I'd rather ot get int trying to track down, analyze, and try to modufy this section of code. What I'd rather ask is for you to see if you can set an exception for your cookie manahement tools/configuration or ... maybe easier yet .. change your Favorite/Bookmark to this Forum to this URL;

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...gin&CODE=00 (Need the whole thing, not just what's displayed)

1. As I go through the list of web based forums I monitor it is convenient to login/browse with just the mouse as apposed to a combination of keyboard and mouse. - So I used the login option which bring up

Use of rither option above should resolve the need for keybord intervention to log on.

2. By logging in using the, right side option, there would be less bandwidth used. Yes, yes, I know not much different. One of my means of getting on the web is through a VSAT. When using the satellite link there are the latency, limited speed, and limits on through put. I suppose with enough $$ I could resolve the speed and through put limits. The limits on through-put is not a real issue (I'm not into streaming audio/video or downloading movies. However, the latency is just a fact of life.

Allowing for the "good" use of a "persistent" cookie would remove the need for the repeated "logging in" action for the most part.

Curious ... another item the cookie tracks is the "most recently read" data bits (in addition to a database entry) .... you didn't mention any issues with this????

So in my mind, there's a question as to how you are handling your cookies. Apparently, they are not being deleted, as the data is pulled up, per your description. Is it possible that you have set a browser configuration (or a cookie management tool) to treat 'all' cookies as $SESSION type for example?
There are both types session and persistent cookie. However handling does not seem correct. Although = keep until: "they expire" is the retention rule, logging out does not delete the session cookies. I have to close FireFox to delete the cookies that "expires at the end of the session."

I will have to play with this and see what gives.

Noting that there are the continuous sogtware upgrades coming along (3.0 is out in Beta right now) and I'm currently battling an issue with the Wiki code because the running version is so heavily modified, I'd rather ot get int trying to track down, analyze, and try to modufy this section of code.
I was thinking that it would be at the level of 'set a flag' given the behavior of others.

What I'd rather ask is for you to see if you can set an exception for your cookie manahement tools/configuration or ... maybe easier yet .. change your Favorite/Bookmark to this Forum to this URL;

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...gin&CODE=00 (Need the whole thing, not just what's displayed)

That works.

Curious ... another item the cookie tracks is the "most recently read" data bits (in addition to a database entry) .... you didn't mention any issues with this????
The "most recently read" function works fine.

There are both types session and persistent cookie. However handling does not seem correct. Although = keep until: "they expire" is the retention rule, logging out does not delete the session cookies. I have to close FireFox to delete the cookies that "expires at the end of the session."

Correct .... As long as the browser is active, the $SESSION cookie is still considered 'alive' ... perhaps not a great selection of words, but best I can come up with right now. When 'logging out' the persistent cookie gets an updated 'time' that causes it to read as 'expired now.'

That works.

Great!

The "most recently read" function works fine.

Thanks for that.

Archived