sms notification of new email???

Depends who you're with; some ISPs do offer this, notably the UK's orange.net

J

Ouch, and just after dinging me on "relevence" in another Topic ... the original poster already defined wishes that the e-mail "not leave the SpamCop server" ... and noting that the original poster made no description of how e-mail made it to SpamCop to begin with (forwarded from somewhere else that might have your orange,net capability or is the SpamCop e-mail address used as the main contact point, etc ...)

• 2 weeks later...

I posted earlier about automatic notification after you have an email in your inbox. I guess you can't do this. My solution was to use a program that automatically pops an acount and sends an SMS to me. My question is: Does Spamcop care how often you POP your mail? I dont know what the TOS says about this, so I was looking for a little advice.

Thanks,

Jeff

I posted this earlier, but it got added to an old thread:

I posted earlier about automatic notification after you have an email in your inbox. I guess you can't do this. My solution was to use a program that automatically pops my Spamcop acount and sends an SMS to me. My question is: Does Spamcop care how often you POP your mail? I was considering doing it every 5 minutes. I dont know what the TOS says about this, so I was looking for a little advice.

Second, sice AOL now opened its mail system to third party IMAP programs, I was considering forwarding my AOL mail to spamcop. I get about 100 spam emails per day in this account. Is there any kind of limit as to how many emails you can have spamcop check?

Lastly, If I do forward my AOL mail, and report all those emails as spam, does my IP address now get blacklisted, since they were forwarded from my IP? If so, should I just not report them as spam?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Is there any way to have an sms message sent to my phone notifying me of an email message in my inbox? If I forward the mail to my phone it leave the spamcop server.  Thanks, Jeff

Answer from JeffT, the man that runs the servers "here" ;

That's not going to happen any time soon.

Wazoo,

Thanks for the reply. I realized that that was the case, thats why I was asking the follow up questions. For some reason, my "new topic" keeps getting added to this one! Any responce to these questions:

My question is: Does Spamcop care how often you POP your mail? I was considering doing it every 5 minutes. I dont know what the TOS says about this, so I was looking for a little advice.

Second, sice AOL now opened its mail system to third party IMAP programs, I was considering forwarding my AOL mail to spamcop. I get about 100 spam emails per day in this account. Is there any kind of limit as to how many emails you can have spamcop check?

Lastly, If I do forward my AOL mail, and report all those emails as spam, does my IP address now get blacklisted, since they were forwarded from my IP? If so, should I just not report them as spam?

Thanks again,

Jeff

Does Spamcop care how often you POP your mail? I was considering doing it every 5 minutes. I dont know what the TOS says about this, so I was looking for a little advice.

I have never heard anyone complaining about a POP request coming in too often, but I am not the administrator of the system. I have always used 10-15 minutes and not had any complaints from any of my providers. If there are no messages, the connection will close quickly and you won't even be downloading the messages with that conenction in this case.

Is there any kind of limit as to how many emails you can have spamcop check?

There is a limit for the number (and size) you can report in one email submission. If you are transferring via IMAP from AOL to your SpamCop email account and reporting internal to spamcop, there should be no limit with the spamcop email and unlimited reporting account.

You can report them. If you are using IMAP to transfer the messages, the headers will (should) not affect the parsing. If you somehow have all messages forwarded automatically to your spamcop email account, the headers should indicate that and not affect the parse.

If you are manually forwarding messages to your spamcop email account, that is effectively a new message and your IP would be seen as the source by the spamcop parser. If that is how you plan on doing it, you would need to forward to your report address (submit.xxxxxxxxxxxx). I don't know how to submit AOL messages, that you would have to look up.

In any of these cases, if you are using the new mailhost configuration, be sure to register your AOL address so that the AOL servers are trusted for your parses.

For some reason, my "new topic" keeps getting added to this one!

I'll take your heat for that. You kept repeating the first query, then adding to it. And this was why I kept combining your posts. It's been a while since JT made his presence known here, so on the occasion of hitting him up on other itmes, I hit him up with several Topics asked here that needed his decisions ... and I passed them back when I got them.

Archived