To Report - Yes or No?

I'd appreciate some advice...

I have a contact who persists in sending me advertising announcements for various events he is holding in our town.

I've said, nicely that I'm not interested. I've said, firmly, please don't bother sending the Emails any longer.

But they still keep coming with his excuse that he thinks I should know about these events because he thinks they are important.

In the sense that he does not have my consent they are spam. So would you report these Emails?

I guess I also have the option to set my mail program to simply delete the items as an alternative to reporting.

What do you think?

Andrew

I've said, nicely that I'm not interested.
That should be all that it takes to get off a mailing list.

As far as I am concerned, you have made a "Good Faith" effort to get away, and now you should start using our service to report the traffic.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

IMHO you should warn him first that you intend to report them as spam. It is a good opportunity for some education on 'best practices' and also the problems of unsolicited email - that email would be useless if every person who had something important to say would send unsolicited email. The fact that most people with a legitimate reason to advertise now understand this and usually only scammers and criminals send unsolicited email does not negate the fact that all unsolicited email is a problem. Remember conSent not conTent?

Miss Betsy

IMHO you should warn him first that you intend to report them as spam. It is a good opportunity for some education on 'best practices' and also the problems of unsolicited email - that email would be useless if every person who had something important to say would send unsolicited email. The fact that most people with a legitimate reason to advertise now understand this and usually only scammers and criminals send unsolicited email does not negate the fact that all unsolicited email is a problem. Remember conSent not conTent?

Ditto. As Don has pointed out, you made a good-faith effort to get off their list. They continue to send you UN-solicited emails. One thing, if the person's internet provider is local (unlikely, but still possible) you could call them up and ask to speak to the abuse desk and explain the situation to them. They might do something about it then. However, I think it's more likely that they won't do anything until they receive a SpamCop complaint or one of their customer reports that their legitimate email is being blocked and they start to look at why and find they're on the SCBL.

Personally, if this person sending you the email is so unappreciative of your efforts to get off their list, then they may need to be hit with a proverbial clue-by-four.

Archived