IP address is not mine

Anklejive

I am new here and hope I don't stumble too much. I have a question I hope someone can answer.

I recently sent an e-mail to a friend and it was returned by the Mail Administrator at my ISP (Cox.net). The Subject line read: Mail System Error - Returned Mail

The first few lines of the error message read:

Recipient: <agrimani[at]pmiltd.com>

Reason: Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?68.230.241.34

Please reply to <Postmaster[at]cox.net>

if you feel this message to be in error.

I mailed the postmaster at Cox.net a week ago, but have not heard back. I clicked on the SpamCom link in the "Reason" line and I read all the FAQs. I also input the IP address (68.230.241.34) and it appears from the information returned that it is someone in Michigan. I am in California.

Can anyone tell me why my mail was blocked because of someone in Michigan?

I am totally lost and don't understand why this is happening.

Please HELP!

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Hi, Kevin,

...It may help you to get an understanding of how SpamCop works and to review the answers to previously asked questions similar to yours. I would recommend the following as a place to start:

...If after looking through these you still have questions, please do come on back here to post follow-ups.

...An immediate answer to one of your questions is that IP address 68.230.241.34 has been reported as having sent spam and you are sharing that server to process your outgoing mail. It was probably not really your mail administrator (Cox.net) that rejected your e-mail but your friend's e-mail provider or ISP. Personally, I have received a good deal of spam that has come through servers listed as being operated by your provider (Cox).

To me: (68.230.241.34 is fed1rmmtao05.cox.net) looks like this is one of cox.net's mail server IP's. Your mail was probably rejected by the pmiltd.com because it traveled through a server which had delivered spam recently and was (not any longer) on the spamcop blocklist because of that spam. The administrator at pmiltd.com is protecting their email users against spam by rejecting messages from servers that have recently sent spam.

There appear to be several servers in the same IP "neighborhood" as this server which have been reported sending spam recently. Please contact your ISP (cox.net) and ask them what they are doing to remove the spammers from their network and mention that these spammers are affecting your mail service.

<snip>

Please contact your ISP (cox.net) and ask them what they are doing to remove the spammers from their network and mention that these spammers are affecting your mail service.

...It appears that Kevin (the OP, aka Anklejive) had already done that, to no avail (unsurprisingly):

<snip>

I mailed the postmaster at Cox.net a week ago, but have not heard back.

<snip>

...Attn: Moderators -- please consider moving this to the Help forum.

It appears that Kevin (the OP, aka Anklejive) had already done that, to no avail (unsurprisingly):

When I have a problem with my service, I don't email them. That is too easy to ignore. I call and hang around on hold for as long as it takes to get satisfaction, changing ISP's if I need to. That is one of the reasons I use my forwarding address everywhere, very easy to change ISP.

I have had several dialup accounts and 2 different broadband ones so far, and will probably have more before I am through.

I also input the IP address (68.230.241.34) and it appears from the information returned that it is someone in Michigan. I am in California.

I'm going to ask for some clarification here ... where did you input this IP and get "Michigan" for any part of the answer?

I mailed the postmaster at Cox.net a week ago, but have not heard back.

Not surprising, as there seems to be no one handling the abuse address either.

A fair bit of time has passed, have you gained any infor via all the referenced links, has cox gotten back with you yet, have you any other questions?

Guys, thanks for all the help so far.

Unfortunately, I can't duplicate what happened earlier, but I could have sworn that when I entered the 68.230.241.34 in the SpamCop "Am I Listed?" feature it returned an address that looked like somewhere like Dearborn, Michigan. Can't make it happen now. I get the "fed1rmmtao05.cox.net" as well.

Anyway, I will try to contact Cox tomorrow (via phone) and see if they can help. I will report back here when I get an answer.

Thanks again.

Kevin

I contacted Cox this morning and was told that they were aware of the problem and had taken steps to fix it, last week after my mail problem. I have since e-mailed to my friend and they have received my e-mail without a problem.

Thanks, all, for your help.

Kevin

Archived