Submit 1 get back 3 reporting links

dbiel

This might very well be a problem on my end where I create one forward as an attachment email with only one attachment but receive 2 or 3 separate reporting links.

The sent folder only shows one being sent, but there was a problem sending it so had to click on the send link 3 times before in moved out of the out box. So it might have been actually sent 3 times.

Just thought I would post this in case anyone else has the same problem at times.

It has happened about a dozen times that I can remember.

I use outlook express using the SpamCop email SMTP server "smtp.cesmail.net" to send the message:

Attached below are the 3 links for the last single message I sent.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z3057068258z8...596a77ceb90c7dz

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z3057067808z7...d0ead11497c5c2z

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z3057067258z0...fe96eabf2c6559z

It is just something I have learned to watch out for that may or may not affect anyone else.

Hi Dennis - this sounds like a problem well worth bringing to the attention of other OE users. What fixes have you tried that didn't work? Using the 'Send messages immediately' setting and clearing out your OE folders (inbox, sent, outbox - moving excess to local folder if they are cherished messages) would be the standard things I imagine you have tried but others reading here may not have (and suchlike may work for them).

Steve

The problem has been too sporatic to actually fix it.

My standard setting is to send immediately

Closing and restarting OE will work as a last resort

Clicking on the outbox and then clicking on send will usually kick it loose.

But the real problem seems to be that it actually was sent but still held in the outbox resulting in the message being sent more than once.

...My standard setting is to send immediately

Closing and restarting OE will work as a last resort

Clicking on the outbox and then clicking on send will usually kick it loose.

But the real problem seems to be that it actually was sent but still held in the outbox resulting in the message being sent more than once.

Sympathy ... on a generally positive note, we're building a sort of diagnostic now - "You've got exactly my (intractable) problem if you see this and try that ... but it still happens." As we know, there are a number of things/sequences of things that might cause a 'similar' problem, OE being a little bit famous for it.

I haven't heard of the 'sticky' outbox before but I have never used/researched OE much. I've seen something just a little like it with most newsgroup readers from time to time - that is the 'read' indicator hangs, shows unread when item is read. In that case, maybe some connection thing, maybe (mail) folders need compacting, maybe physical or virtual memory fragmented or insufficient for current tasks including flag tests. Some of which could be factors in your case.

All of which is beside the point of your wanting to alert people of the pitfall they might encounter. But still related, I think, since there will certainly be cases where it can be 'fixed' or at least 'cured'.

Archived