Spamcop reports

Hereathome

Recently I have been receiving replies directly from ISP's that I have reported spam through spamcop. Is there a reason that is happening? I cannot find my email address in the email, but I still am receiving replies.

For instance my name is listed in the "TO" field. When I check the email address properties the address is something like 441xxx0686[at]reports.spamcop.net. Why would the replies come directly to my email address?

Thanks.

Why would the replies come directly to my email address?

A quick search over in the Wiki using ISP replies as the seach term brings up Why was my authorization revoked? ... specific dialog reads as; ISP replies to your reports are routed through SpamCop to your email address.

Noting also that Preferences configuration settings on your Reporting Account include an option or two dealing with "replies to your Reports" ....

Anyway, this "function" is defined in several places and is normal. (The original/official FAQ, the single-page-expanded version of that FAQ found here, the Wiki, etc.) The number(ed address) you are trying to reference is actually the Report ID number, which is then mapped back to your Registered Reporting Account e-mal address on the SpamCop.net Parsing & Reporting System.

...Noting also that Preferences configuration settings on your Reporting Account include an option or two dealing with "replies to your Reports" ....
From your logon at http://members.spamcop.net/

Preferences tab

Report Handling Options link

Report reply handling item

...choose from

• Forward only replies from sentient people
  • Forward replies from people and robots

Choosing the 'sentient' item will cut feedback to practically nothing.

The point being, as Wazoo noted, the ISP's response is not directly to you, the feedback is through SpamCop via the Report ID. A SC report is in the form shown at http://members.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/338.html If the ISP replies to that address ('(10digitIDNo)[at]reports.spamcop.net'), it is passed on to your registered e-mail address by SC.

And now the question is ..... does this actually have anything to do with a SpamCop.net e-mail Account? I'm of the thought that this should actually be moved to the Reporting Help Forum section. ????

...I'm of the thought that this should actually be moved to the Reporting Help Forum section. ????
Agree, done, moved from SpamCop Discussion > Discussions & Observations > SpamCop Email System & Accounts (redirector left behind) - PM sent to OP.

Recently I have been receiving replies directly from ISP's that I have reported spam through spamcop.
Some abuse desks respond to our reports and others do not. Some send an autoresponse, while others send a personal email to the user. You can control what type of responses you get by adjusting the "Report Handling" options in your "Preferences" when you log in at http://www.spamcop.net/ It doesn't matter whether you have an Email Filtering account, or a "spam reporting only" account.

Your address is not exposed by SpamCop. Our system deletes your address from the headers of the spam, and then sends the complaints out using the report ID number as an internal SpamCop address. When someone replies to a complaint you sent, their message comes to us and our system translates the report ID number to the user who filed the report and sends the message along to you.

Your complaints go out using a "From" address like this:

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Archived