HELP: Mail Host killed my SpamCop address ????

showker

Okay I need help, and don't know where to look.

I read the part :

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showforum=7

But don't have a clue what she's talking about and there's no reply.

HERE'S WHAT MediaTemple said:

> We have recently been receiving a large number of complaints from the

> Spamcop RBL in regarding emails that were forwarded through Email

> Aliases on your (gs) service.

> Looking over your account I discovered that you have three email aliases

> forwarding directly to a Spamcop address.

>

> Unfortunately, for the time being we cannot continue to allow these

> forwarders to be active. The complaints we received all coincided with

> other major email providers blocking mail your cluster.

I've only put in the change in domains yesterday about this time, so it's been

less than 24 hours that SpamCop has been "aware" of our hosting switch to

MediaTemple.

And, we are not listed in the "Spamcop RBL" ?????

I have been forwarding my previous account through SpamCop for close to

ten years -- never encountered this.

Who can help???? Where should I go next???

How do I know what "... other major email providers" are blocking my email?

This is all new to me. We only moved the sites and hosting account to MediaTemple

two weeks ago -- at GREAT EXPENSE, and moving away to another host will

be a serious hardship. (Enough to start law suits flying)

:(

Have you done (or re-done) your mailhosts configuration? This is very frequently a cause of people seeming to report their own ISPs (wrongfully) for spamming. Even if you have already done this in the past, it is often necessary to do it again whenever you or your provider changes your mail handling setup.
Yes, it sounds like mailhosts thing.

Fred, you should undertake your Mailhost configuration (another, different, link - read both if you can), even if you have changed nothing, as Ric says. Steven Underwood wrote a 'step-by-step' at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...amp;#entry21169 Another member recently had 'self-reporting' problems recently and kindly summarized his 'take' on the process. You may find that useful too, it is at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=72731

You will get test message(s) forwarded to your email addresses. If those are usually forwarded to your SC mail account there could be a problem unless you can open them from within that provider account (normally you would deal with them in your SC mail account). It could be you will need SC Admin (Don) to intercede with MediaTemple "to allow these forwarders to be active," with reassurances and soft words to get you set up. You have to stop all spam reporting once you have started the setup and until it is successfully completed anyway. Don's contact address is service[at]admin.spamcop.net

I don't understand where/how "The complaints we received all coincided with other major email providers blocking mail (to? from?) your cluster," fits into things either, or even what it means.

HOW ????

Where is the "Mailhost" tab ???

I do not understand, I've never had to do this in the past.

There are dozens and dozens being reported to Mediatemple in the last

three days since DNS resolved to the new host.

SPAMCOP DOES NOT SEE THE REAL SPAMMER and is reporting

ME as the spammer.

The WILL NOT ALLOW me to 'forward' mail to SpamCop from my

graphic-design.com email. (400 spams per day)

Does anyone know an actual SpamCop tech I can communicate with???

HOW ????

Where is the "Mailhost" tab ???

From one of the links I gave you:

"1. Go to http://www.spamcop.net and log in with your User ID and Password

2. Select the 'Mailhosts' tab"

(That's actually Username, not User ID, I think, using the terminology explained below)

(or http://members.spamcop.net and log in with your Username and Password)

To quote from the link below - "Remember, your username is the email address you signed up with, and it's all lower case."

Or use http://www.spamcop.net/denied.shtml if you don't know your password.

...I do not understand, I've never had to do this in the past. ...
It helps prevent you 'self-report' - which is what you are describing when you say "SPAMCOP DOES NOT SEE THE REAL SPAMMER and is reporting ME as the spammer." You are lucky if you did not need it before, but you were always on thin ice - changes made to routing by your provider can lead to self-reporting. That might be what happened. But I can't imagine you were 'full reporting' 400 spam a day? Full reporting is when you review and send each and every one of them (after they are parsed). If you were quick reporting/VER reporting (just getting summaries) you should have been mailhosted before you started that. Even when mailhosted and quick reporting you probably need to do the occasional full report and check the parser is working through your hosts correctly (not reporting them).

[edit After reviewing some of your previous posts, I see you are apparently 'full-reporting' (quick reporting doesn't pick up spamvertized sites). That's a heck of a workload you've shouldered Fred. OK, mailhosting is needed no less - just that with each and every report you release after parsing you have the opportunity (and obligation) to ensure you are not reporting your own hosts, and the mailhosting should help make sure of that.]

...Does anyone know an actual SpamCop tech I can communicate with???
No - but I gave you Don's contact address above. He is 'the man' when it comes to mailhosting. I'm sure he will help if you're not getting enough assistance here in the forums. As said, you may need to call on him anyway, to get this straightened out.

THANK YOU.

I have followed the instructions and "think" I've mapped out MediaTemple.

Although SpamCop did NOT send the "secret" email to one of the addresses,

it does list MediaTemple as among my email providers.

Thanks for your help, those last two did the trick.

I think SpamCop needs to do a brief "broadcast" email to all users

informing them of this, should they change hosts.

It's an item that easily slips through the cracks with all the other

woes surrounding changing hosts or email providers.

Thanks again

Fred

THANK YOU.

I have followed the instructions and "think" I've mapped out MediaTemple.

Although SpamCop did NOT send the "secret" email to one of the addresses, it does list MediaTemple as among my email providers.

You're most welcome Fred. I'm not sure if one missing email would be normal or not. I don't think so, but if it's all part of the same host/an alias I may be wrong. Anyway, you just need to keep a sharp eye on what the parser does with anything forwarded through that address. Are you OK to get your mails forwarded to your SC account again now? As said, Don may be able to convince MediaTemple if they need convincing.
...I think SpamCop needs to do a brief "broadcast" email to all users informing them of this, should they change hosts.

It's an item that easily slips through the cracks with all the other woes surrounding changing hosts or email providers....

That would be a neat idea - it would help with reporting system 'quality assurance' too. Not sure if it's possible but you might like to add it as a suggestion in the New Feature Request forum.

Steve

Archived