IOBit accused by Malwarebytes

Farelf

Thanks once more to Randy Knobloch at grc.security - http://malwarebytes.besttechie.net/2009/11...ctual-property/

Malwarebytes has recently uncovered evidence that a company called IOBit based in China is stealing and incorporating our proprietary database and intellectual property into their software. We know this will sound hard to believe, because it was hard for us to believe at first too. But after an indepth investigation, we became convinced it was true. Here is how we know.

During the course of our investigation, we uncovered additional evidence that IOBit may have stolen the proprietary databases of other security vendors as well. We are in the process of contacting these vendors.

The evidence, as detailed in the blog entry linked above, seems incontrovertible - no wonder IOBit has been doing so well in the detection and removals trials they've been happily reporting. Maybe they should change their name to IOBites.

IOBit.com is Chinese owned but registered and hosted in the U.S (tucows and softlayer respectively).

...I wonder what (if anything) will come of this?

Time was when I always advocated the policy of nuke 'em 'till they glow then shoot 'em in the dark but lately I've discovered my warmer, caring, nicer self and have become an infinitely better person ;). I guess the usual, boring legal stuff will take place - if it gets to court before IOBit evaporates or sublimates to a friendlier jurisdiction, the incontestable will be contested, logic will be strained, the evident will be inadmissible or ignored - but inevitably IOBit will given a 'cease and desist' and an unenforceable (by virtue of the lack of assets and the inability to earn) costs+fine+damages award made.

All terribly civilized - I think I preferred trial by combat but apparently the legal system evolved beyond that about 400 years ago. And, of course, IOBit might be entirely innocent, despite the assertions. The evidence all has to be impartially tested. We shall see ...

The IOBit rebuttal:

http://blog.iobit.com/archives/95.html

Declaration from IObit

November 3rd, 2009

In response to Malwarebytes’ calumniation, we would like to release the asseveration as follows:

1. We have never used or copied the database of any other company.

Our database mainly comes from the online submission source: .http://db.iobit.com/deal/sdsubmit/index.php

We also have various sources of malware samples from warm-hearted users, computer security fans, and major security groups from all over the world. We have to admit that it’s hard to avoid mistakes, like a silly or duplicated name. But there is in no way means we steal Malwarebytes’ or any other’s database. We are investigating and tracking for those items in rumors.

Conclusions:

1) No hard proof shows that IObit stole database of Malwarebytes.

Archived