burst.net : what colour the hat?

A.J.Mechelynck

Just got a spam (well, an «advertisement» mailing), this time about Spanish poetry soon to be sold in France (of all subjects) and apparently sent by the author herself. Well, email advertising is cheap, isn't it, especially when you add a link at bottom, "Send this notice to a friend".

The "reporting address" found by SC happened to be abuse[at]burst.net this time -- the name sounds ominously like a spammers' (well, an «advertisers'») ISP, what do you think? So, what colour the hat? White as snow, grey as fog, grey as bad-combustion smoke, or black as India ink?

Tracking URL: http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z3602126962zd...bf9a26ee8021aaz

Never heard of them. They don't look bad on SenderBase or robtex, don't feature on the SC stats pages and have a user forum (where presumably spam sufferers would go to vent and make things untidy if the network were the spammming/spam tolerant type). I'm guessing they're not black hat.

The "reporting address" found by SC happened to be abuse[at]burst.net this time -- the name sounds ominously like a spammers' (well, an «advertisers'») ISP, what do you think? So, what colour the hat? White as snow, grey as fog, grey as bad-combustion smoke, or black as India ink?

They've been around for years, but I don't recall them coming up in any kind of flaming issues about spam. Pulled up a WHOIS and see that their record was 'generated' back in 1998, backing up my 'years' description.

Archived