I tried to add two host, received the emails, forwarded them as instructed, but have yet to see them added as mailhosts.

This is causing a backlog in my inbox of email I need to report because it states not to report any until the system adds your providers.

Please tell me what I need to do from here?

Thanks

Well, I take back my comment of having my inbox fill up with spam. I received a few, then they stopped being forwarded to my inbox.

See, I have my public email that I give out to everyone. I have spamcop grab that email and filter it, forward non-spam to me and hold all others. I check those and submit when needed. Right now ALL my email is being held, even my non-spam. Things like my bank account alerts and even the spamcop register mailhost email, which have never been blocked before.

This is ok for the next day or so, but will be annoying when I return to work on monday. I may have to remove the filter service to avoid the problems this will cause me.

Why are my accounts not registering? Why am I not getting any rejections or having my mailhosts listed?

Thanks

Well, I have had to stop using spamcop altogether because I have not been given the solution on how to report without it report my account as the spammer.

Give us the option to turn off this mailhost process or fix the system so it can report properly. I have tried a few times to add my accounts and I receive the initial email. I forward (and have copy and pasted) the email to the address listed and have yet to see it listed in my mail hosts. Thinking this was a glitch, I reported a spam and sure enough, it sent to my host and no others.

I would have never even tried it if I knew it was going to take two days to get it configured.

Well, I have had to stop using spamcop altogether because I have not been given the solution on how to report without it report my account as the spammer.

<snip>

...FWIW, dhanna isn't the only one in that fix -- me, too! :(

For those of you who tried and could not get the new system to work there is a way to "revert" to the old way.

Go to the Mailhost page and delete all the entries in the popup list at the bottom of the page.

This worked for me.

Learned something, I think. :)

If I get one with a forged header, this happens when I try and report it...

Please ensure that cox.net is not your own service provider.

Will not trust anything beyond this header

Forgery detected, or mailhost configuration incomplete. Please verify source IP identified.

You have failed to configure your own mail host, from which you pop mail

Mailhost: pop.west.cox.net ( 68.6.19.2 )

No source IP address found, cannot proceed.

Cox is my ISP and I am not able to continue. But if the spam has a forged header, but is also blocked because of it being an open proxy, then it allows me to submit the reports to the proper providers.

Thanks Ellen. I am waiting to report a ton of spam. My heldmail is a couple of pages long now.

This is directed to Ellen...

Thank you for the help you have provided so far. I know that the problems continues. I guess I would like to see where we can edit our own mailhosts.

The problems I am seeing with mine are that pop.west.cox.net is not listed but mx.west.cox.net and others are. In addition, the IP listings are emtpy. So even if pop.west.cox.net resloves to the same IP that mx.west.cox.net does, it will not detect it because there are no IP's listed.

Therefore items that have pop.west.cox.net will not report because it is not listed as a mailhost and I have no way to add it.

Hi dhanna,

I have a cox account, too. I removed all the mailhosts for a while (it got back to the old configuration), and I reconfigured all the accounts again. Now both pop.west.cox.net and pop.east.cox.net as well as mx.pop.west.cox.net and mx.east.cox.net are added as host servers. Everything seems to be working as it is supposed to for now. Servers appear to be continuously being added as more spamcop members are configuring their mailhosts.

I hope this helps.

I have to say, I suppose I spoke to soon.

Right after I posted my last post, I went to check my mailhosts and sure enough, the IPs are listed as well as the missing DNS names.

I just reported 36 spam that had built up in my held mail.

Paying closer attention to the source of the spam has me rather upset with one provider. I swear half of the spam I just submitted came from that provider.

Paying closer attention to the source of the spam has me rather upset with one provider.  I swear half of the spam I just submitted came from that provider.

Let me guess -- chinanet.cn.net? Man, if I could just auto-blackhole all e-mail from that provider, I would :-/.

Let me guess -- chinanet.cn.net? Man, if I could just auto-blackhole all e-mail from that provider, I would :-/.

Nope, comcast

I know why too. With cox (my isp) they block all port 25 traffic. I have been told that comcast does not, at least not yet.

Same with my employer. They block all port 25 and if anything behind the firewall tries to send on port 25, they get notice. Since I work for a school district, we find the system sending on port 25 and fix it. Usually infected with a worm or something. This is rare, but it does happen when user bring home systems in and plug them in behind the firewall. For them, we hang them by their toenails and pour honey all over them, then let loose the ants. :)

I have been told that comcast does not (block port 25), at least not yet.

I would not hold my breath on that one. I have yet to see Comcast do anything that would come close to doing the right thing for the internet.

Comcast just doubled the speed to their users (at least here in Massachusetts) to 3 Mbps. It was probably in response to all the Comcast users complaining they can not browse the internet (because their machines are infected and spewing garbage for others). My guess it was easier for them to do that than clean up all the problem machines on their network.

The mailhost system seems to be working correctly for me now.

Yes, and another 3 for comcast, in the last hour.

Here is what I found when I ran DNS on is...

Since SpamCop started counting, this system has been reported about 6060 times by about 600 users. It has been sending mail consistently for at least 2.1 days. In the past 87.7 days, it has been listed 11 times for a total of 53.4 days

Archived