Backlog or system trouble?

Fonman805

I forwarded two spam messages shortly after 01:00 -0700/PST, and then found out the system was down for maintenance when I went to the site to submit the reports. Email 'ready' notices were received a little over an hour later, and I was able submit both reports at that time.

Three additional spam messages were forwarded at 04:41, 05:49 and 08:15 (all PST), but so far none of those has shown up as ready to submit on the website, nor any 'ready' email notices received.

The SpamCop Server Status/Statistics graph shows that activity resumed at 05:30 EST and was somewhat busy for the first two hours, and then dropped to a lower level after 08:00 EST.

Is there still a backlog of unprocessed submissions, or is there some new problem now? :unsure:

...Is there still a backlog of unprocessed submissions, or is there some new problem now? :unsure:
Just tried a submission and no validation email and (logging in to my member page) nothing ready yet. Also there is a query about unprocessed submissions on the newsgroups. Web-form submission is working fine. Reporting Server Status graph looks sick. Looks like there could be a problem with email submissions right enough.

We are working on the system's slave servers. Only the master database is available for processing. There is mail hoarding going on.

All we can do at this point is wait.

Thanks for your patience!

As always, when you experience a failure with SpamCop, the immediate action drill is to shut down your browser and go lie on the couch. :-)

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

Thanks Don, Kelly. Email submissions seem to be working now (last 3 hours or so), the stats/Reporting Server graphics are looking more normal now and over the same timeframe too. Based on just two observations, including mine, it looks like anything submitted in the downtime may be lost.

Smoko over, back off the couch ...

Based on just two observations, including mine, it looks like anything submitted in the downtime may be lost.
Not completely. I received a notice of a report ready to submit from that time frame (now 30 hours old) about two hours ago.

Tracking URL:

From Report History list:

Submitted: Friday, August 20, 2010 12:29:23 -0700

From header info within the message body of 'accepted for processing' email, received 08/20/2010 12:29 PDT:

Received: from
sc
-smtp10.soma.ironport.com (
sc
-smtp10.soma.ironport.com [192.168.37.42])

by prod-
sc
-app2.soma.ironport.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 03784BD4FDA

for <x>; Thu, 19 Aug 2010 08:26:05 -0700 (PDT)

and

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 08:15:46 -0700

Original spam received: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 06:29:48 -0700

After approx. four hours without any system response to forwarded reports, I manually submitted the previously forwarded messages using the form on the SpamCop site. I had expected to start seeing all the duplicated automatic reports show up (to be canceled) late yesterday, but it didn't happen. However, while writing the above, more backlogged reports have turned up:

Tracking URLs:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z4405276156z8...c54e43c807ffecz (now 34 hours old)

Originally submitted per 'accepted' email header: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 04:38:24 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z4405323997zb...8fc1314c988ebdz (now 25 hours old)

Originally submitted per 'accepted' email header: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 12:50:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hopefully that is the end of it for now. :blink:

Not completely. I received a notice of a report ready to submit from that time frame (now 30 hours old) about two hours ago.

After approx. four hours without any system response to forwarded reports, I manually submitted the previously forwarded messages using the form on the SpamCop site. I had expected to start seeing all the duplicated automatic reports show up (to be canceled) late yesterday, but it didn't happen. However, while writing the above, more backlogged reports have turned up:

Hopefully that is the end of it for now. :blink:

Thanks Fonman - some missing, some retrieved after long delay and, as you say, new processing back to normal. I guess SC staff can retire to their couches now ("Peel me another grape, Buelah." :D ).

P.S. missing submission finally went through - looks like the backlog is not lost after all ... but (by now) delayed too long to be much use.

Archived