yahoo mail server blocked

gabook

We have recently been experiencing difficulty getting our inter-office email. Our ISP is AT&T and we send through that. Our email is hosted by our web hosting service, IX Web Hosting. Lately, much of the email we send to each other (our emails are all somename[at]tttransports.com) does not get through. I contacted our web hosting service and they gave us this reply: "Let me inform you that this issue was caused by Yahoo mail servers listing in Spamcop."

Can you help me solve this problem? Here is one of the error messages we get:

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<s.harris[at]tttransports.com>:

Mail server for "tttransports.com" unreachable for too long

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Received: from [98.138.90.48] by nm5.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 14 Oct 2010 20:33:31 -0000

Received: from [98.138.89.245] by tm1.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 14 Oct 2010 20:33:31 -0000

Received: from [127.0.0.1] by omp1059.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 14 Oct 2010 20:33:31 -0000

X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: 698.40703.bm[at]omp1059.mail.ne1.yahoo.com

Received: (qmail 90791 invoked from network); 14 Oct 2010 20:33:30 -0000

Received: from XRX0000AA7B548E.gateway.2wire.net (tandt[at]66.143.211.114 with login)

by smtp105.sbc.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with SMTP; 14 Oct 2010 13:33:29 -0700 PDT

X-Yahoo-SMTP: V2AysZuswBDYmFs63AxOqb4TdMnCSjAcUbc1gGpppWXm

X-YMail-OSG: .uAZwqsVM1nGyyBt9sSIQrw01PVocIGPrQoZ537L707CoIS

UmGKVWnia1oddTppVDbaxxEHsS28GCjjPje13yohpMkqR1U9mQlcqogUC5Bm

5qefDyMRRwJ3zt9su3I_r2yFb0C21Bf4b5.2Tocc30dN_BWt9lYKd8QCaV15

yEOc4O1bn2f.2fqaWrK65uVfg2mGUOAnd.QfvBvUzbtwMZ883kKAkkqYzMxb

c73yYgsSEVDeGS5f6EgWJW9B6v3wC9ze6YWY2D1XK2CvNCYcSAJv5Q3xTHlz

tzYY-

X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: ymail-3

MIME-Version: 1.0

Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:33:33 GMT

To: "amoleolu[at]netscape.net " <amoleolu[at]netscape.net>

Cc: "s.harris[at]tttransports.com " <s.harris[at]tttransports.com>,

"m.salazar[at]tttransports.com " <m.salazar[at]tttransports.com>

Reply-To: tandt[at]tttransports.com

X-Mailer: Xerox Mailer /4.03

Subject: Expense Paystub

Message-ID: <uoZFHGdVQoubTonW4cA6VDydJ.1287070411.27[at]XRX0000AA7B548E.gateway.2wire.net>

x-xerox-mail-id: uoZFHGdVQoubTonW4cA6VDydJ

Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="110.1.168.192Xerox3496059213"

--110.1.168.192Xerox3496059213

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Please open the attached document. It was scanned and sent to you using a Xerox WorkCentre

"Yahoo mail servers listing in Spamcop"? Sounds half feasible but it is not supported by any of the evidence provided. None of the IP addresses offered is currently in the SCbl and if they were it would only have an impact if your provider chose to use the SCbl in a way that exceeds the recommended usage of the bl.

I have to say one sees an awful lot of spam structured exactly the same as the example you provide. I wonder if some spam filtering is getting involved somewhere?

Moving this to the Lounge with this post, it is not for the FAQ Under Construction.

"Yahoo mail servers listing in Spamcop"? Sounds half feasible but it is not supported by any of the evidence provided. None of the IP addresses offered is currently in the SCbl and if they were it would only have an impact if your provider chose to use the SCbl in a way that exceeds the recommended usage of the bl.

How would I find out if spam filtering is involved? IX Web Hosting does not seem to be helping me and I need our email to work. Can you help me?

How would I find out if spam filtering is involved? ...
Pattern might be the thing - is it happening particularly when there are attachments? Is it being blocked from getting through to other addresses (such as the Netscape.net one in the example)? Also, you may need to try copying to another Yahoo address - if there is filtering within Yahoo I would expect mail to blocked from going there as well. If it gets through to the Yahoo address (and/or Netscape.net, etc) but not to the tttransports.com adresses hosted by IX Web Hosting then the filtering is on that side (AT&T or IX Web Hosting). Which is more or less what they are saying except they are saying it is because of the SCbl (which doesn't seem to be right from what I can see).

If it is spam filtering you will just have to find a way to make your mail look less "spammy" (or find a different routing - maybe via a webmail service or another mail service provider).

If it is spam filtering you will just have to find a way to make your mail look less "spammy" (or find a different routing - maybe via a webmail service or another mail service provider).

Thank you so much. I have no idea how to make our mail look less spammy or how to send it through another web server. The server we use is smtp.att.yahoo.com. AT&T is our ISP.

<snip>

The server we use is smtp.att.yahoo.com. AT&T is our ISP.

...Are you paying AT&T for support or merely for providing e-mail service (sorry for the apparently silly question, I am unfamiliar with AT&T business practice with respect to e-mail service)? If you are paying for support, I would think you have a case to make to them that they are not providing sufficient support -- "Let me inform you that this issue was caused by Yahoo mail servers listing in Spamcop" is not nearly enough of an answer to allow you to determine what to do, or for those of us (mere users of SpamCop, not SpamCop employees) to help you determine what to do. If you are paying for e-mail service only, then I think you may need to hire someone who is knowledgeable in how to track down the source of your problem; again, we here do not have near enough information to be able to guide you.

I agree with Steve T, it is up to your provider. From PM received:

I sent your response to IX Web Hosting - this is what they said:

From provided headers email was sent from Yahoo:

Received: from [98.138.90.48] by nm14.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 12 Oct 2010 21:47:30 -0000

Received: from [98.138.89.249] by tm1.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 12 Oct 2010 21:47:30 -0000

Received: from [127.0.0.1] by omp1041.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 12 Oct 2010 21:47:29 -0000

X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: 947326.11659.bm[at]omp1041.mail.ne1.yahoo.com

Provided email was sent on Oct 12. Kindly please double check the issue from your end and update this ticket with more recent bounce-back for us to check if from our side in more details. We count on your patience and understanding. I'm setting status of this ticket as "Waiting" for you to reply.

Go ahead and provide them with detail of your latest bounce and see what they can make of it. Neither IP in the example above is currently listed in the SCbl:

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblo...ip=98.138.90.48

Thanks Kelly, adds some credence to the provider's assertion and I note a handful SB "Poor" and quite a few "Neutral" reputation scores amongst the .bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com servers despite the 4.5 daily magnitudes of those, so I suppose there have been some fairly massive spam runs happening. Hard to imagine why this should be consistently hitting the O/P's service though - having the occasional server listed rarely does so much to users of far less resourceful/capable networks than Yahoo's.

Whatever, up to O/P's providers to justify service levels to the O/P and/or for them to suggest a work-around. I suspect few others are being quite so inconvenienced by this but then users of all-Yahoo services wouldn't even be aware anything is happening at all.

Coming in late, I know ....

How would I find out if spam filtering is involved? IX Web Hosting does not seem to be helping me and I need our email to work. Can you help me?

Situation actually isn't clearly defined here thus far. The e-mail headers and content provided appear to be an 'end-of-trying-attempt' disposition notification .. rather than an actual bounce/rejection notification. Looking on the "Mail server for "tttransports.com" unreachable for too long message and your write-up, I'm not sure who actually 'sent' this e-mail. Sorting through the rest of the header lines in the 'attached message' adds a bit more spin to the story.

Our ISP is AT&T and we send through that. Our email is hosted by our web hosting service, IX Web Hosting.

Wondering what this actually means. "Send" from one, e-mail via another ...???? Will read this as outgoing through AT&T, incoming vis IX, but I hate guessing.

The Message-ID includes the designation of 2wire.net. Making the assumption that you are not actually connected with them, the guess would be that you or the upstream is using a "customer gateway device" from 2Wire, the cost suggesting the upstream.

You say AT&T, but the same line tracks back to adsl-66-143-211-114.dsl.ablntx.swbell.net ... perhaps just another case of one company taking your money but using another company's assets to provide the alleged service??

The rest of the header Received: lines seem to show the typical bouncing around within the Yahoo server farms, but .... nothing about a connection/rejection problem being docimented. This could also be part of the no-immediate-answer from IX, as to fully analyze your query, they woud have to retreive data from their mail-logs, which may or may not be available to whoever tried to answer your quesries there.

So what would be needed to more fully 'explain' the current issue and possible answer your question, the headers from an actul bounce/rejection notice would be needed. The headers of a successfully received e-mail may include the evidence of an spam-filtering devices/software in use.

<snip>

You say AT&T, but the same line tracks back to adsl-66-143-211-114.dsl.ablntx.swbell.net ... perhaps just another case of one company taking your money but using another company's assets to provide the alleged service??

<snip>

...Wazoo, are you referring to the apparent discrepancy between AT&T on the one hand but the PC address that includes "swbell.net" on the other? Not as big a discrepancy as might first appear, as swbell (SouthWest Bell) was acquired some time back by AT&T.

...Wazoo, are you referring to the apparent discrepancy between AT&T on the one hand but the PC address that includes "swbell.net" on the other? Not as big a discrepancy as might first appear, as swbell (SouthWest Bell) was acquired some time back by AT&T.

Yeah .... it's a bit hard to keep up with the buyouts, mergers, swaps, various types of agreements. etc. going on these past few years.

• 2 months later...
Yeah .... it's a bit hard to keep up with the buyouts, mergers, swaps, various types of agreements. etc. going on these past few years.

I second that! You cannot tell who is who now a days anymore! But back to the topic, I have to say that I also host with IX Web Hosting and I have never accounted the problems you have. If your Mails looks "spammy" then they most probably are considered spam by the receivers and therefore they are blocked. Have you been able to solve your problems?

Moderator Edit: removed the live link

Archived