Phish spam

Yet another phish spam attack started yesterday or this morning. They conveniently even sent one to the email ticket queue, unfortunately the ticketing system doesn't show headers but I assume it's being sent through zombied PCs.

I know y'all are too smart to fall for this but here is a copy of the text. We will never ask for your password. We don't mass mail the user base.

If you have, in a moment of inattentiveness, replied to this or something similar please change your password ASAP and pick one that is not easily guessed or cracked.

Questions? concerns? random remarks? You can always contact me at support ~~~at~~~ spamcop.net

~~~~~~~ phish mail follows ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DEAR SPAMCOP.NET USER,

Due to the congestion in all spamcop.net users and removal of all

spamcop.net Accounts,

SPAMCOP.NET WEBMAIL TEAM would be shutting down all unused Accounts.

We will be conducting our regularly scheduled maintenance, to ensure that

we provide the highest quality in Internet connectivity and services to

customers. Your connectivity and services with us may be interrupted for

short periods during the maintenance window.We will also ensure minimal

disruption to services where possible.

In order to enable us perform quality maintenance on your Internet

access and e-mail service, please you must reply to this e-mail message

confirming your spamcop.net account details with us.

Do confirm your account details below.

- hide quoted text -

1. First Name & Last Name:

2. Full Login Email Address:

3. Username:

4 Password:

5. Retype Password:

NOTE: Failure to respond to this e-mail message may result to technical

problems on your Internet access and e-mail service.

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO CONFIRM YOUR WEBMAIL IDENTITY WITH THE WEBMAIL TEAM BY

SIMPLY REPLYING TO THIS EMAIL WITH THE REQUESTED DETAILS.

Warning!!! Account owners who fails to update his or her account on

receiving this notice might loose his or her account.

Thank you for using spamcop.net.

Spamcop.net Support.

SPAMCOP.NET WEBMAIL TEAM"

©2011 All rights reserved

Due to the congestion in all spamcop.net users
Thankfully, I can report that I am not having any more congestion problems and the fever is gone. I am still having some intestinal symptoms right now, maybe the phishers have something that could help with that. Oh, never mind, I just got a note from a Canadian pharmacy, I'm sure they can help.

-- rick

Thankfully, I can report that I am not having any more congestion problems and the fever is gone. ...
:lol: Yes, as usual they come across as a slightly retarded 12-year old trying to emulate a business communication. That fragile grasp of the language, combined with the peculiar arrogance/incapacity that prevents them from taking a real message as a template, will always give them away. Unfortunately there is probably a large number of internet users who are quite incapable of detecting the nuances. But those can rely on the simple "rules of thumb" provided by the O/P and which are universal to all providers in providing an even more certain gauge of "bogosity".
We will never ask for your password. We don't mass mail the user base.
But the muddy prose of these phishes sure is good for a giggle/snigger. Our message to the perpetrators might be "EPIC FAIL little spamster, you really should have paid more attention in school (just to begin with that might have given you a better chance at a real job)."

I am still having some intestinal symptoms right now

Me too... I assumed that's what these helpful guys were offering to fix when they said:

Due to the congestion in all spamcop.net users... SPAMCOP.NET WEBMAIL TEAM would be shutting down all unused Accounts.

Wasn't sure how it would help but at this point I'll try anything.

:blink:

Andrew

Archived