Obtaining Raw Source

gw1500se

I have encounter something new that I don't know how to handle. I am using Thunderbird and when I find spam I use the "View -> Message source" option to copy the raw source and paste it into spamcop. However, lately I have been getting occasional spam whose raw source opens to a blank page. This may be a Thunderbird issue but even the headers look wrong as there are no originating source records and very few others except from, to, subject, date and message-ID. Should this have even been delivered? Perhaps there is something my ISP is relaying that it shouldn't? What have these spammers discovered? TIA.

Should this have even been delivered? Perhaps there is something my ISP is relaying that it shouldn't? What have these spammers discovered?

This is certainly possible, the first example I ever saw being a newsletter sent to all ISP subscribers which had no "Received:" lines at all and had evidently been copied directly by the ISP techs rather than sent as an email.

I suppose that some ISP email configurations may be so simple that there is not even "internal routing" lines for a email from another customer to you.

Ask your ISP how it came to be ?

...Ask your ISP how it came to be ?

Or ask a Tbird forum. I think this may be an "artefact" created by Tbird. There has been the occasional discussion of this or something like it on these forums, long ago. Ah yes, one being raised by the inimitable Rooster in http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ic=7383&hl=

I occasionally got something like it from Netscape. I even replicated it once, much later and after the above exchange, using (I guess) SeaMonkey. Something to do with deleting messages - maybe hitting the delete icon once too often, when the last message in a folder has been already deleted? - wish I could remember exactly, it was documented on a previous computer, long gone and I can't access the backup (ruddy thumb drives!).

I would have driven my ISP (then ibm/att) to distraction over it once, when it happened to me unexpectedly a few times ("This isn't even a message, why are you delivering it to me? Stop it I say, or suffer the consequences - I am awesome in my wrath!", well, not quite like that perhaps) - if only they hadn't ignored me.

Anyway, I stopped using the mail client delete icon to delete (I use instead the keyboard Delete button or Shift-Delelete for permanent deletion these days) and haven't seen it since apart from that one deliberate replication years ago. Mozilla stuff is well able to generate some occasional surprises in the deep-down detail of its function.

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the Mozilla issue but I now think it is, to some extent, an ISP (AT&T) issue. I am now getting spam that does not have an origination record. It seems to me that kind of mail should be rejected by the ISP. Am I correct and should I complain to my ISP about filtering that?

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the Mozilla issue but I now think it is, to some extent, an ISP (AT&T) issue. I am now getting spam that does not have an origination record. It seems to me that kind of mail should be rejected by the ISP. Am I correct and should I complain to my ISP about filtering that?
That situation is usually seen when the spam originated from another user of the same provider your email account is associated with. The message never passes through the Internet in those cases, it stays within the provider's own internal network.

Archived