Question re: cell phones

mrmaxx

Is there some way for someone to abuse my cell phone somehow if I give 'em my number like run up a huge bill on my cell phone? Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I don't want to risk having a huge cell bill because I gave a stranger my cell number. :D

She says she's from Georgia, but "currently living in West Africa taking care of" her mother who's sick with cancer. Now I strongly suspect she's NOT really from Georgia, but who knows. :D

Anyway, first time we chat I get ready to sign off and she wants my cell number. Didn't give it to her, but it made me suspicious.

...I don't want to risk having a huge cell bill because I gave a stranger my cell number. :D

She says she's from Georgia, but "currently living in West Africa taking care of" her mother who's sick with cancer. Now I strongly suspect she's NOT really from Georgia, but who knows. :D

Anyway, first time we chat I get ready to sign off and she wants my cell number. Didn't give it to her, but it made me suspicious.

Sounds more like the scri_pt for an African scam than some sort of phreaking risk to me, mrmaxx. In addition to the foregoing, which is fairly reassuring concerning cell phones, aspects of cellphone security are covered briefly at:

http://simson.net/ref/security_cellphones.htm

Doesn't seem to be an appreciable risk of phreaking or kindred activity to divert call charges on digital networks, FWIW.

Sounds more like the scri_pt for an African scam than some sort of phreaking risk to me, mrmaxx. In addition to the foregoing, which is fairly reassuring concerning cell phones, aspects of cellphone security are covered briefly at:

http://simson.net/ref/security_cellphones.htm

Doesn't seem to be an appreciable risk of phreaking or kindred activity to divert call charges on digital networks, FWIW.

Yeah... Sounded a LOT like several ladies I've talked to... all happen to be in Ghana or some other western African country with family or something... Amazing. Almost like they're all reading off the same page. :D Nice to know that giving out my cell phone isn't likely to lead to unauthorized charges, but still.... I think better safe than sorry. 'Preciate the info!

Archived