Mozilla Firefox

cobra8767

First post here so bear with me if this has appeared before

Mozilla Firefox Web Browser

been using this for a few months and over the last 4 weeks have been getting inundated with spam, mainly from usaitcareer.com and numerous dating sites.........got fed up reporting over 30 per day.

Last night i decided to Uninstall Mozilla Firefox and go back to Internet Explorer..........guess what....

NO spam AT ALL EVER SINCE...................COINCIDENCE???? or Common Problem??

:D

Haven't heard of exactly that problem before but sounds like you picked up some sort of browser "hanger-on" if simply changing browsers fixed it. The usual panacea for fixing such things for Fx would be (Firefox menu) Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Reset Firefox (button). But, if your problems have evaporated just by switching back to IE there doesn't seem any point in your doing any more.

I use SeaMonkey (mainly) and Firefox (a fair bit) and have noticed no problems. I also clean out my "ad aware" cookies regularly (and have a fairly rigid cookie policy anyway) - which shouldn't make much difference but who knows?

Anyway, interesting observation, especially if the spam-free status holds.

I get very little spam but a few hours after posting my response above (using Firefox) a new one arrived - with the trojan loader attachment that most of "mine" come with these days ("DHL Online Shipping Prealert Advisory AWB 976231339" attachment "DHL-DELIVERY_MESSAGE_awb955967472.zip").

This is the opposite to Geek's experience - none encountered when using the integrated SeaMonkey application, but spam encountered after using Firefox (as the O/P experienced). However, as said I have a very minor incidence of spam at any time, I will need to test some more to see if there is an apparent correlation with any appreciable degree of confidence, and the browsing pattern followed prior to any such delivery. That could take a while and any "evidence" will remain circumstantial in the absence of any known/discovered exploit.

• 3 weeks later...

I really find it hard to see a link between receiving spam and browser usage. As Farelf mentioned, a bad plug-in might leak information to a spammer, but once your e-mail address lands on a spammer's list, you will get spam, regardless of your browsing habits and browser preferences.

Cobra, what does the spam telly look like now since your last post?

Just to add to the above. I've not noticed any correlation between use of FireFox and spam since my previous post in this topic. Hardly conclusive, but I did go out of my way to use it to provoke any such attack vector. Mind you there have been updates to Fx and to the Adobe reader "helper", Shockwave, all sorts of things which could have had an impact ...

Archived