reporting BBC.CO.UK

mrmaxx

... as they are going to be an innocent bystander.

True. however, it is a way to inform them of the type of spam, using their name, that is out there.

I have over time collected several spoof[at] addresses for groups I know or deal with. When I notice spam using their name I pass it on. My bank for example maintains a "spam like this" list for members and for large floods send out notices to members. I notice that American Express also doe this. Most of the time I get a response. Some times just an automated 'we got it' but often a second 'you were correct.'

Groups like AMEX, PayPal or BBC have pockets deep enough to pay the lawyers to maybe really do something. JMHO

True. however, it is a way to inform them of the type of spam, using their name, that is out there.

I have over time collected several spoof[at] addresses for groups I know or deal with. When I notice spam using their name I pass it on. My bank for example maintains a "spam like this" list for members and for large floods send out notices to members. I notice that American Express also doe this. Most of the time I get a response. Some times just an automated 'we got it' but often a second 'you were correct.'

Groups like AMEX, PayPal or BBC have pockets deep enough to pay the lawyers to maybe really do something. JMHO

True... but MY point is that we shouldn't be treating it like we're reporting THEIR website as spam, we should be notifying their "spoof" account instead of any "abuse" account, if at all.

<snip>

we shouldn't be treating it like we're reporting THEIR website as spam

<snip>

...Your wish has been granted: SpamCop reports sent to Abuse addresses of spamvertized web sites (see FAQ entry "My web site got terminated/threatened because of SpamCop, but I did not send the spam. What's the big idea?" and http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...rtizedURLReport) are different than reports sent to the source of the spam e-mail (see http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...pamSourceReport).

...Also, if I'm reading it correctly, admins can stop the reports -- see FAQ entry "How can I control what type of reports I receive?"

...Your wish has been granted:

Just to be sure, we are talking about at least 3 different addresses:

• spamvertized links/names
  • The (forged) FROM:
  • the real source

I was referring to the FROM: which spamcop most likely doesn't send anything to. I assumed BBC.CO.UK was in this group, not the real source as reflected in the header that most viewers don't see, but SC teases out.

The only cases where SC would send anything to, the most likely forged, FROM: is in those rare cases where a misguided company does send spam about its self, in which case the FROM: could be the same as the real source. Again, like my bank or AMX, not the case with the BBC

Spamvertizing is yet another issue as turetzsr points out .

<snip>
  • spamvertized links/names
  • The (forged) FROM:
    <snip>

I was referring to the FROM:

<snip>

...Thanks for clarifying, Lou! My assumption is that mrmaxx was referring to the spamvertized links, my evidence being:
I would suggest we disable all reports for BBC.CO.UK or any similar URL

<snip>

and
<snip>

we shouldn't be treating it like we're reporting THEIR website as spam

<snip>

The trick is to flag their web URLs as "innocent bystanders" so that SpamCop won't send reports about them. Which I did.

That way, if there is spam coming from their servers, SpamCop will still send reports.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

Thanks, Don! That's exactly what I was suggesting. :)

Archived