Download Folder(s) Fails. Due to Large Inbox?

Dear SpamCop,

I'd like to download my Inbox as a Zip file. I login to webmail.spamcop.net, I click on the "Folders" button, and I arrive at the "Folder Navigator".

I check the checkbox to the left of "INBOX". From the "Choose Action:" popup menu, I choose either "Download Folder(s)" or "Download Folder(s) [.zip format]". (Technically, I'm choosing either "download_folder_zip" or "download_folder" for "action_choose0".)

My Web browser, Netscape Communicator 7.1, indicates that it has initiated a Web connection, and that it is awaiting the results. I wait. The result is...nothing. I think it's due to a timeout. I've tried this a number of times, at intervals, over the past few months, with the same result. I have also tried keeping my login session active, by using another window and clicking links within the Webmail system. That has had no effect. (And, to ensure that it's not some kind of Web browser incompatibility on the part of your Web site, I also tried Microsoft Internet Explorer, which I loathe, to no avail.)

If this features does work for others, then I'm sure that the problem is that I've let my Inbox get way too big. (That's why I want to download it: To archive it so that I can remove it from the SpamCop servers.)

Any help you could give me re this issue, such as increasing the timeout limit or giving me an alternate way to download my large Inbox, would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Israel Steinmetz

I just did a test using IE6 and the 2 messages I had in my inbox.

Download as zip failed with a blank screen result. Download did work as expected.

I assume that there is a timeout occuring and the size of your mailbox is the issue.

Can you use POP or IMAP to transfer the messages to another computer for archiving?

Dear StevenUnderwood,

Thanks for your help! I wish I'd asked a few months ago about this, instead of wasting my time on the ZIP process. Alternatively, I could have created a test folder and did the same test you did. Oh, well.

Anyway. I'd prefer a single-file download, if possible. It's simpler. I just want an archive. It doesn't seem to make sense to download the messages one at a time, and I have a feeling the single file will download much faster and use much less computing resources on both ends.

Sincerely,

Israel Steinmetz

The 2 messages I tested with were downloaded into a single mbox file.

I was thinking that if you POPped the messages to a local client, you could then archive them into a single file. Then you could archive directly from he spamcop inbox more often.

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings,

Per http://www.spamcop.net/forum.shtml , "New web-based forums are now the primary method for getting help." However, my problem remains unresolved. Is there any way for me to escalate this problem?

I can't easily download all of the E-mail: For some reason, even in daily use to simply download new E-mail, I often get a message from Netscape Mail (part of Netscape Communicator 7.1 for Windows 98) something like "RETR command failed. Server replied "can't open the message file - it's gone". This usually happens when I'm almost done downloading my E-mail: For example, I could be downloading message 286 out of 288. I think this points to another problem with SpamCop: Something makes me doubt that the problem is with my E-mail software, in this case.

So, anyway, how can I best get in touch with someone with more authority re this issue?

Sincerely,

Israel Steinmetz

Archived