Null'ing Email Addresses

sflanigan

Recently I have been getting a minimum of 20 spams a day that appear to be originating from an ISP named Teradyne. I reported the spam via SpamCop only to find all of the abuse addresses being null'ed. Per a previous question I posted I was told that any email address being null'ed indicates that the email address is invalid and bouncing and therefore no email complaint is being actually sent. OK, this makes sense, however, if I send a complaint directly via my email address to these complaint address they do not get 'bounced'.

Why would they bounce for SpamCop and not for me?

A bounced report is only one reason that reports are nulled. If an ISP indicated that they do not want to receive SpamCop spam reports, SpamCop will not send them an reports ~~ If the ISP doesn't want/does not request email from SpamCop, that sure sounds like spam. SpamCop doesn't want to send spam to anyone even spammers or their ISP.

No that is not what I said. What I said was that SpamCop has chosen to not add to the current email volume that is clogging the internet by sending spam Reports to ISPs that do not want them. It is estimated that 90%+ of the current email volume is spam. What good is accomplished by adding to that unwanted scourge?

There is no purpose served by sending spam reports to an ISP that will not take action to stop the spam coming from an IP address under their control. If the report is going straight to the bit bucket, or their response ('Not me!') is similar to what you got from Teradyne, as you reported elsewhere, why clog the internet?, adding to the cost everyone else pays to maintain a quality internet?

If ICANN was really doing their job, the ISP, the registration service that issued the spamming domain name, would be sanctioned to stop the spam. Sadly ICANN isn't doing their job, and some ISPs appear to be more interested in continuing to receive money from spammers than do what is best for the internet as a whole.

On the other hand, which private or government agency would you want to control the internet/email content? But back to the subject of nulled reports. SpamCop for their reasons, bounced reports, or request not to receive reports, or what ever, have decided to not send some spam reports. Sending spam reports to ISPs for you is a secondary objective of SpamCop. That does not preclude you, as an individual, from sending spam reports, as you sent to Teradyne.

actually, there are a few solutions when the ISP is supportive of the spammer. One is you can find out who the upstream is and report to them. Another solution is you can use the spamcop blocking list if you own the mail server. The block list is cool because both you and hidden detectors are adding IPs to it. I changed from about 50 a day to only around 3 when I used the block list.

Archived