Empty error: Cannot register mailhost

I have written to the Deputies twice about this but gotten no resolution.

I have successfully set up for mailhosts several of my email addresses except for one, hosted at cyber-wizard.com. When I try to register that email address, I get a confirmation, which I dutifully return, then get a response back:

Hello SpamCop user,

Sorry, but SpamCop has encountered errors:

Please do not respond to this email (replies are ignored). If you need

help, please consult the SpamCop website ( <http://www.spamcop.net/> ).

I wrote the Deputies once on April 20th and again on April 26th. I read the "Please read" locked posting, I searched the forum for "Sorry but SpamCop has encountered errors", I browsed the forum, and in general I've done my best to do my due diligence. I see no waiver button and I am just stuck. If the deputies would have mercy on me and hear my plea I'd appreciate it. :)

Here is the full email:

To: eje+spamcop[at]ewanco.com

Subject: Spamcop account configuration: error

Precedence: list

Message-ID: <wh40a21114g10eba[at]msgid.spamcop.net>

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:57:08 GMT

X-Mailer: http://www.spamcop.net/ v1.3.4

X-spam-Status: No, hits=-99.9 required=5.0 tests=TW_KM,USER_IN_WHITELIST

autolearn=ham version=2.63

X-spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 2.63 (2004-01-11) on

polycarp.ewanco.com

X-Evolution-Source: imap://eje[at]polycarp/

Mime-Version: 1.0

Hello SpamCop user,

Sorry, but SpamCop has encountered errors:

Please do not respond to this email (replies are ignored).  If you need

help, please consult the SpamCop website ( <http://www.spamcop.net/> ).

This email was sent in response to your email:

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 07:42, SpamCop robot wrote:

> Hello SpamCop user,

>

> This email contains special codes and tracking information to help SpamCop

> figure out your specific email configuration.  Do not post this email in

> public.  It contains confidential information related to the security of

> your SpamCop account.

>

> Please return this complete email, preserving full headers and the special

> tracking codes below.  Visit this address:

> http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=mhreturn

>

> Alternately, you may submit via email.  Forward the message as an

> attachment to this address.  Or create a new message and paste this email

> into it.  Either way, send it to to:

>

> <redacted>[at]cmds.spamcop.net

>

> Special codes follow:

> ################################################################

> X-SpamCop-Mx: ob-mail-com.mr.outblaze.com.

> X-SpamCop-Mx-Ip: 205.158.62.35

> X-SpamCop-Mh-Name: mail.com

> X-SpamCop-Recip: eje[at]cyber-wizard.com

> X-SpamCop-Unixtime: 1084362148

> X-SpamCop-Conf: <redacted>

> X-SpamCop-Randomness: <redacted>

> X-SpamCop-Hash: <redacted>

> ################################################################

Wazoo redacted the personal data that was requested not to be posted publicly in the very text quoted.

I edited your previous posting to remove specific data.

I also dropped a note to Deputies highlighting your remarks, but will note that your complaint of non-response is unusual. Though at times behind, non-answer is out of the ordinary.

You make note of doing loads of research, but then leave so much data out.

E-mail attempts - what OS, E-mail App, how Forward: was attempted

Did you try the paste-it-in-here web-form window?

Perhaps the non-answer might be based on what was in your previous e-mails?

I'm sorry but I do not see mail from either the 20th or the 26 which concerns mailhosts and is still unanswered -- which is not to say that we haven't responded yet. Can you send the info again including your registered SC email address and make sure to put mailhosts in the subject line. My apologies for asking you to write again,

Wazoo,

Loads of research doesn't necessarily guarantee that I will give you all the information you need without asking. One has to do with exhausting all known avenues before asking for help; the other has to do with providing sufficient information when I do ask for help.

Given that all my other mailhost confirmations worked by email just fine, it did not occur to me that it might be an email format problem (hence my lack of information on that). I am using Evolution on Linux 2.4.20 (Redhat 9). Sendmail 8.12.11 is the MTA. I forwarded it as an attachment (Content-Type: multipart/mixed: Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed; Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit & Content-Type: message/rfc822; Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit; Content-Disposition: inline). No, I did not try the web form, I guess I assumed (again, based on my success using email for other mailhost confirmations, plus another error I got trying to confirm this domain about "cross-domain" problems) that the error was with the domain, not the email. I did try that now, and guess what, it works. Thank you. I should have at least tried that. I apologize for not doing so before.

Ellen,

You should definitely see a message on the 20th, because Richard replied to it. He tried to fix the problem, but it didn't work. Then I sent a couple of followups. I have emailed you all the relevant messages at deputies[at]spamcop.net (subject: "Mailhosts: [Fwd: Spamcop account configuration: error]").

I know SpamCop is a lot of work and I appreciate all of the effort all of you put into it. Thank you.

Eric

twice about this but gotten no resolution

I don't know why, but I read that as "no response" ...

And, since, Ellen chastised me a bit for redacting enough that she couldn't identify uour account / data / e-mail ...

You should definitely see a message on the 20th, because Richard replied to it.

and that feeds into Ellen's issue .. I stated and she was looking for "unread/unanswered e-mail" .. that Richard had already snagged onto it puts it into a whole nother Box ... my screw-up, apologies ..

and guess what, it works

and that's the good news .. thanks for the positive feedback .. glad it worked out despite my mistakes <g>

I got a similar response at first but checked the forum again for specifics on my email client. The cut-and-paste method didn't work so I used forward-as-attachment with OE and that worked fine.

Big improvement in false positives (legitimate but held email) following this reconfiguration. I get 3-5 spam messages coming through per day to the inbox but haven't noticed any legitimate trapped messages for the past couple of weeks.

Thanks to everyone at Spamcop!

Archived