new mailhost added with incorrect details

I needed to add a new mailhost as I have done several times before without any problems.

so I clicked Add new hosts, received 2 emails (there are 2 mail hosts for the domain), clicked the link on the first received email and copy / pasted the header and mail content into the appropriate boxes and yes there is a new host added but it has 10 hosts listed, 2 are correct but the other 8 I haven't got a clue what they are or where they have come from, the mailhost name doesn't match the name I chose when I was adding the new mailhost and there are 4 IP addresses added when there should have only been 1 or 2 max.....

my domain is uk-asbestos.com, mail servers are mail. & mail1. both have same IP address, I called it WFG...

but after I added the new host I have:

Mailhost name Fairchild.co.uk

email address is correct (me[at]uk-asbestos.com)

Hosts / domains: mail1.fairchild.co.uk, uk-asbestos.com, Fairchild.co.uk, mail.fairchild.co.uk, mail.uk-asbestos.com, mailrouter.Fairchild.co.uk, loci.tree.uk.com, tree.uk.com, uk.com, inaddr.btopenworld.com

Relaying IPs: 212.87.84.49, 81.133.92.147, 213.162.107.170, 213.123.133.21...

what is going on here, is the interface broken or something???

any assistance appreciated

In addition to the final destination(s) mail and mail1 Mailhost also keeps track of the mail servers an email passes through as part of your host's processing of the email. The path also depends on how the MX record for uk-asbestos.com was setup.

Without tracking down each domain name and IP, I'm guessing that Fairchild.co.uk is your host for uk-asbestos.com. How they route incoming email through mail.fairchild.co.uk, mailrouter.fairchild.co.uk and others to get to mail.uk-asbestos.com would explain the other domain names.

Mailhost also keeps track of the mail servers an email passes through as part of your host's processing of the email.

And if you want to verify that Mailhosts is behaving rationally, you could look at the headers for one of your email messages and see what servers are actually present in the routing.

when I look at the email header of an email from that domain none of the other servers are mentioned, they have a simple setup 1 domain with 2 MX records pointing to an exchange server via BT fixed IP address that sends email via a relay that I manage, I don't recognise any of the other hosts. I really don't understand???

email header:
Received: from mail.mileshosting.com (109.108.140.98) by mail.pcs.uk.net
(192.168.20.251) with Microsoft SMTP Server id 14.3.266.1; Wed, 20 Jan 2016
03:20:43 +0000
Received: from mail.uk-asbestos.com ([81.133.92.147]) by mail.mileshosting.com
; Wed, 20 Jan 2016 03:20:36 +0000
Received: from SERVER (192.168.0.250) by SERVER.wfg.local (192.168.0.250) with
Microsoft SMTP Server id 14.3.224.2; Wed, 20 Jan 2016 03:20:31 +0000
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: <sbsadmins[at]uk-asbestos.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 03:20:31 +0000
Subject: Summary Network Report
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
boundary="--boundary_18_f01e8854-40b4-4f09-87b1-cc1db155e2af"
Message-ID: <60924b32-79e8-45b0-a32e-86aeed5c423e[at]SERVER.wfg.local>
Return-Path: SBSMonAcct[at]uk-asbestos.com
X-Auto-Response-Suppress: DR, OOF, AutoReply
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthSource: SERVER1.pcs.local
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthAs: Anonymous
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-PRD: uk-asbestos.com
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-SenderIdResult: None
Received-SPF: None (SERVER1.pcs.local: SBSMonAcct[at]uk-asbestos.com does not
designate permitted sender hosts)
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AVStamp-Mailbox: MSFTFF;1;0;0 0 0

On review, if I understand correctly, you followed the procedure to add a new mailhost to SpamCop, and you do not understand why SpamCop added some host to your records so that their software works the way they want it too. Is this correct?

You can check the correct operation of the parser/reporting process by reporting spam and then checking the results and to which ISPs spam reports are sent and which IPs are involved (something you should be doing anyway).

I don't understand as its never added unknown hosts and ip addresses before.

I have added lots of mail hosts before and it has just literally added the correct name (as I specified) 1 IP address and 1 Mailhost.

this one however when I try to add it all the other hosts / IPs appear and they are nothing to do with my domain and I just don't understand why?

we dont route our email via any other host or relay, it is a simple Exchange server with 1 MX record / IP address which sends email out via DNS / SMTP

the reason for adding the domain is so I can report spam and of course our IP doesn't get blocked but I don't have access to a PC at that domain to get the email header from Outlook so I get the emails to that domain forwarded to me I then send the spam reports from there (as I've done many times before with other domains) and its worked fine before.

any help really appreciated.

Archived