for past week, most valid email held as spam

Since May 26th to be exact, almost all of my valid emails have been held as spam. I've been looking through the thousands of spams received in that time and so far have picked out and whitelisted about 40 valid emails that were blocked. Many of the valid emails are from addresses that have had no problem getting through before. What's the deal????

Since May 26th to be exact, almost all of my valid emails have been held as spam.  I've been looking through the thousands of spams received in that time and so far have picked out and whitelisted about 40 valid emails that were blocked.  Many of the valid emails are from addresses that have had no problem getting through before.  What's the deal????

There are a few possibiilities. One likely cause is that your mail server's IP address got listed in the Spamcop blocklist. As a result, everything that Spamcop looks at for you is held.

Since you've already verified that it's because of the SCBL, you should next check the "X-Spamcop-Checked" header line. The last IP is the one found on the blocklist. If it's yours, then this is the problem.

As jseymour states the usual reason is that you've somehow managed to report "yourself" .. this is one of the reasons the Mail-Host configuration was set up. Did you go through the configuration on that yet?

There may be the issue that your ISP's e-mail server (IP address) has been reported by others in sufficient quantity to make it to the bL also, but without being able to look up the 'evidence' files as you've not provided an IP address to go look at, we're all pretty much having to guess at this point.

Thanks!

It looks like you hit the nail on the head.

My pop server over at EARTHLINK is being blocked!

How can I fix this?

207.69.231.74 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

Causes of listing

System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam less than 10 times in the past week

Additional potential problems

(these factors do not directly result in spamcop listing)

Listing History

In the past 706.8 days, it has been listed 17 times for a total of 17.4 days

Other hosts in this "neighborhood" with spam reports

207.69.231.21 207.69.231.40 207.69.231.71 207.69.231.78 207.69.231.83 207.69.231.92 207.69.231.93 207.69.231.108 207.69.231.124

Thanks!

How can I fix this?

207.69.231.74 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

Causes of listing

System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam less than 10 times in the past week

Additional potential problems

(these factors do not directly result in spamcop listing)

Listing History

In the past 706.8 days, it has been listed 17 times for a total of 17.4 days

Other hosts in this "neighborhood" with spam reports

207.69.231.21 207.69.231.40 207.69.231.71 207.69.231.78 207.69.231.83 207.69.231.92 207.69.231.93 207.69.231.108 207.69.231.124

Hi, ebardfield,

...See if the following FAQ answers your question: SpamCop FAQ: How can I be de-listed. If not, please return here to post follow-ups.

Thanks!

How can I fix this?

Best way is to go through the "MailHosts" config if you have not done so already (didn't see where you said you had) so that SpamCop knows to trust that mail server for you. Once you've done that, I suspect the false-positive rate will go down quite a bit.

Archived