Fora or newsgroups?

MyNameHere

Hmmm.... I signed up for the fora a while back when it was said that the newsgroups were going away. So I never went back to the groups.

I really just browse in the fora when I'm having a problem (not terribly often), so I must have missed something. But I did a quick search and didn't find any direct discussion of this issue during the past 30 days.

But reading between lines, I'm getting the impression that the Powers that Be are not happy with the fora and the newsgroups are alive and well (maybe aliver and weller than before).

So what's a poor user to do? View and post in both places?

Just wondering...

Not sure what you might have used for a search, but there have been some issues between "here" and "there" .... I can offer no advice ... My routine is still to hit the newsgroups first, see what's "live" .. then hit "here" with that knowledge still floating in my head for application against what I find "here" .... It''s a bit strange is all I can say ... I posted a bit ago somewhere bemoaning the issue that straddling both sides is getting to be a chore. Just did what I could handling one user's issue posted in the newsgroups earlier today that had no response whatsoever, thus the poster brought it over "here" .... so I posted in both ... maybe I'd best just leave it right now that I don't know what to tell you, other than go with which is easier and/or more beneficial ..???

• 2 weeks later...

Web-based forums

New web-based forums are now the primary method for getting help.

That was JT's intent and is true for the SpamCop Email service. He foresaw Wazoo's problem of straddling two help systems maybe. When the web forum was discussed in the newsgroups before implementation, there were several suggestions of systems where posts went to both. For whatever reason, JT did not accept those suggestions.

Reporters, in general, prefer newsgroups except for the newbies. The web forum was supposed to be /only/ for newbie questions who didn't like newsgroups or for the very few who cannot access newsgroups. In the discussion of how to revise the web forum, part of the suggestion is to make it clear that the newsgroups and forum are equal for reporting and 'why am I blocked?' questions. IMHO, all discussions should be encouraged to take place in the newsgroups because this forum is not designed for discussion, but for question/answer.

I don't believe that any newsgroups were slated to be done away with except spamcop.help and spamcop.email. .email is gone, but .help is still there and probably will stay since some people prefer to use it.

For spamcop reporters, the best place to get help is in the newsgroups because only a few knowledgeable ones frequent the forum. The primary difference is that Wazoo generally spends his time answering those in the forum because of that reason so occasionally answers come quicker in the forum.

Miss Betsy

.email is gone

Although it was certainly mentioned that the spamcop .mail newsgroups would be discontinued, it is atill alive today, however it receives very little traffic. Someone posted today with an IMAP question.

.email is gone

Although it was certainly mentioned that the spamcop .mail newsgroups would be discontinued, it is atill alive today, however it receives very little traffic. Someone posted today with an IMAP question.

It's true that the newsgroup does exist .... however, there are currently no links to that page. Thus only those that were there before, or come across the listing via an archive somewhere will actually know of its specific existance. (OK, going with the newbie flow here, knowing full well that if one points the newsreader to the news.spamcop.net, there is a list of groups to subscribe to .... but even with that, JT's words advised against depending that newsgroup support would continue ... and as they are running on his servers ....)

Archived