Increase in Spam

Hello. I am not sure if anyone else is experiencing this but lately I have been receiving an increase in the amount of spam. When I first got spamcop installed on my server I saw a dramatic DECREASE, then all of a sudden, I am getting slammed again with about 30 - 40 spam emails a day.

I signed up to report spam and noticed that the same IP address' are coming up. How long does it take for these to be blocked by Spamcop?

Does anyone have any information as to why I am getting so much spam? Any information you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks!

When I first got spamcop installed on my server

First of all, spamcop.NET does not install anything on your server. Did you download a program from spamcop.COM? That is an entirely different outfit who stole the spamcop name and does things entirely differently.

OTOH, spam seems to go in cycles so that some people experience increases while others experience decreases.

Another reason is that when one notices that spam is a problem and decides to do something about it is about the time that that address is being sold to a lot of people.

HTH

Miss Betsy

In addition to Miss Betsy's reply, how you handle the email message (opening it now to retrieve headers as opposed to simply hitting delete) can confirm your address is valid and maybe more importantly that you open the messages.

Possible thoughts of spammer:

People who open the messages, probably read them.

People who read them might but something if the "right" deal hits.

I should sell this address to my frinds selling ...

For clarification purposes, MichelleR had PM'd me a few times before jumping all the way in and posting <g> One of her first PMs included the phrase "My hosting company installed SpamCop on my server ...." which might better explain her circumstance. and relationship with SpamCop.

If I recall correctly, her first PMs were also during the aftermath of the move to new servers at the IronPort site, when the database didn't make the move intact .. then followed by the massive slowdown problems. I had conjectured at that time that the spam flood was probably based on the lack of reports coming in, and thus the de-listing of timed-out IPs, with the associated lack of adding new IPs. She apparently did take the next step of signing up for a Reporting account so as to help feed the list.

I signed up to report spam and noticed that the same IP address' are coming up. How long does it take for these to be blocked by Spamcop?

There's a mathematical formula involved that includes spam reported, traffic "seen" , time, spamtrap hits .... and then the requirement that at least two different reporters for the same spew source ... Then one applies the minimum of a half-hour to a maximum of 48 hours to remain listed, based on the referenced formula. There's a few other factors, but you've got me in a time crunch right now <g> so posting as is for right now.

Archived