My hosting provider received a complaint

Guido

Hi there,

We are a company that create internet games for other companies (for example Clarins and Moet & Chandon). After subscribing we often send a mail to say thank you for participating. My hosting provider received a complaint from Spamcop. He is now afraid that his IPs will be blocked. But I explained to him that we send through an email delivery service like Sparkpost and Amazon. If someone is going to be black listed it is Sparkpost or Amazon even though I believe that the chance is really small because the people have to check a box for receiving this mail.

My questions :

Was it only 1 complaint my provider received or do they receive for each complaint a mail?

We send with a different domain name and ip address than my clients website. Is the ip of my client website going to be blocked?

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind regards,

Guido

Hi Guido and welcome,

Spamcop blocks nothing - it can't, spamcop merely lists email servers that are sending out spam. SOME server administrators use that list to either reject or quarantine emails. Spamcop does NOT list web-servers (HTTP), only email (SMTP) servers so your host has no need to worry. A copy of complaints is sent to the the administrators of web-servers mentioned in the spam merely as a courtesy.

You should, however, look to a system of confirmed opt-in for your mailing lists.

Archived