Not getting spamcop forwarded email

For over a week, when I go into my held mail and select forward, the emails disapear. They never get to the forwarded address. I also haven't gotten anything from my white listed senders during that time.

Any suggestions?

Ed

There is a posting over in the Help Forum dealing with "missing e-mail's" though dealing with spam report submittals .. don't know if there's any direct bearing, but have you looked at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=866 ?

haven't gotten anything from my white listed senders

OK, so you state that outgoing isn't working, incoming isn't working for "whitelisted" addresses ... is your account actually active at this point?

I'm not losing emails I'm reporting as spam.  I'm losing the ones I forward to my non-filtered address to keep.

OK, here's what's going to have to happen. You're going to have to identify the ISP and account name used, and some time-frames involved in these attempted action, such that JT can search the logs at his end to see if there's something "here" to explain it. At the same time, you need to query your ISP with the same kind of data so they can look at their logs. And while everyone else is looking though their logs, you're going to have to check out any filtering / blocking that you may have set-up somewhere along the line that may be "eating" these e-mails ... some silly-assed filter that goes off when it sees the word "spam" anywhere in the e-mail for instance (this has happened at a few ISPs in the past)

I use two ISP's, mindspring at home and another at work. I don't use their mail servers. I have an email account with Vitalstream in conjunction with a web site edfinley.net. I am definately not getting emails from people on my white list as this morning I got a letter from a company that had been sending me bills for 2 years by email. Never had a problem before and I didn't touch any settings.

I'm not trying to pry, and would recommend that posting everything I said would be needed for JT to take a look in the logs not be posted in the clear, but if all you provided JT was the data in your last post, I'm not sure how you'd expect much help. Please take another look at my last post in this Topic. And you also may want to focus on one issue at a time. My last post was pointed towards trying to find the cause of your missing "Forwarded e-mail, but your last post wants to deal with alleged missing incoming e-mail .... (or is it? I've read it three times and I'm still confused .... "I am definately not getting emails from people on my white list as this morning I got a letter from a company ...." are you not getting e-mail or are you getting e-mail?)

Sorry if I've been confusing. My last post was referring to missing forwarded email. Sorry for not specifying, but this whole thread is about my forwarded email. This morning I sent myself a test email around 9 am. I am on my own white list and this should have been forwarded to my unfiltered address. I never got it or saw it in my held mail. To be more specific, my email is ed <at> edfinley.net and is hosted by vitalstream. Spamcop POP's this address and forwards the non-held mail to another address I have at edfinley.net. This second address has no filters that I've set up. Over the last week I have repeatedly tried to forward mail in my held mail. Spamcop appears to have forwarded the email, but I never see it.

Regarding your last post, I'm not sure what my ISP has to do with this, but my account is edfinley158 <at> mindspring.com. My email is hosted by vitalstream and the account is edfinley.net. I'm waiting to hear back from them about anything that might have changed in the last week.

Thanks,

Ed

Wazoo modified e-mail addresses to lessen the chances of adding more spam to Ed's InBox's

Now that you have clarified the situation i can confirm that i am also losing emails too. I 'm afaid i just posted a new topic on the subject i at the time this one was not appropriate.

Any help taken gratefully.

Thanks.

Are both of you POPping email from your remote accounts to spamcop?

I have all my accounts (except for Yahoo) set to forward to spamcop and have not noticed any missing messages.

Perhaps there is a problem with the popgate server?

It seems that both of you are also forwarding your messages to other locations. Have you tried turning that off for a while to let the messages stay at spamcop, perhaps popping them from there?

This would help determine if the problem is into spamcop or out of spamcop.

Just sussed out my problem, my isp has spam filtering and filtered my legitimate mail.  I have asked them to turn it off for that account now.  Doh!! :huh:

Yep, I thought I had that covered a while back ...

And while everyone else is looking though their logs, you're going to have to check out any filtering / blocking that you may have set-up somewhere along the line that may be "eating" these e-mails ... some silly-assed filter that goes off when it sees the word "spam" anywhere in the e-mail for instance (this has happened at a few ISPs in the past)

I stopped my forwarding out of spamcop and sent myself another test email. It did show up in my spamcop inbox. It appears it's only when spamcop forwards it that I lose it. I got a second confirmation from vitalstream that nothing has changed in their email in the last few weeks. I'm starting to think that might not be true.

I seem to be POPing fine out of my regular email. I had to set it up that way two years ago because, believe it or not, spamcop was not getting forwarded email from vitalstream (are they known for hosting spammers?). POPing has worked fine, although a little slower than forwarding.

efinely, I just sent you a "test" e-mail from a HotMail account. If that shows up, then the next level would be a sample without the word "spam" mis-spelled and see if this is a possibility.??

Gwazo,

I got your email. I have turned off my forwarding so it ended up in my spamcop inbox (i.e. not the held mail). I'm reluctant to turn the forwarding back on other than for short tests because I don't want to loose anymore emails. Here's a reply from vitalstream:

Ed,

I will look into this for you today we've had some email Issues the last

couple days not related to delivery but to account login. I will check

mail logs and see if we can possibly see where some of these messages

might fail on delivery. Also if spamcop has an open relay Or an address

our mail server cannot trace to when the mail is received the mail will

not deliver. That is a question you might want to ask them next time you

speak with them. If you do get bounces or any type of email return ours

please let us know.

Regards,

Scott M. Blaska

VitalStream Inc.

Does spamcop have either an open relay or untracable address?

Ed

I got your email.

Ok, sent another to both addresses identified in your last, just in case it does get filrtered at at one ... with the words spam and spamcop spelled correctly.

Here's a reply from vitalstream:

I will look into this for you today we've had some email Issues the last

couple days not related to delivery but to account login.

Hmmm, account login issues ... shades of username and password problems, can't login, could also suggest a "no user found" rejection notice, thus shutting down SpamCop attempts at forwarding anymore e-mail .... I can't say this is actually an issue with your "manually" forwarding things, but as this condition is seen with the confirmation e-mails ...????

I will check mail logs and see if we can possibly see where some of these messages might fail on delivery. Also if spamcop has an open relay Or an address

our mail server cannot trace to when the mail is received the mail will

not deliver. That is a question you might want to ask them next time you

speak with them. If you do get bounces or any type of email return ours

please let us know.

Does spamcop have either an open relay or untracable address?

An open relay hardly sound likely .... however, reading into that, one would go that they are using other dnsBL lists and SpamCop is on some of those ..???

The untraceable address, well not really for JT's e-mail servers that I know of, but then again, most of SpamCop was Akamaized a long while back in an attempt to work around all the DDoS issues. Depending on the tool sets in use and what commands are actually used, there could be a possibility that a DNS check might not resolve at any one moment due to whatever Akamai might be doing with pointers at any one instant. There was a recent incident with Akamai that literally took thousands of "name brand" web-sites off the net for a while. I'm not qualified to know the exact situation on this, but can only note that I haven't heard back from JeffT on a number of issues I kicked over to him earlier today.

Ed,

I'm guessing that this email is the one you're talking about sending yesterday around 9:00 a.m.

Tue Jun 8 08:51:57 2004 Info: MID 71951308 ICID 71826254 From: <mail[at]smtp-01-003.root-mail.com>

Tue Jun 8 08:51:57 2004 Info: MID 71951308 ICID 71826254 RID 0 To: <xxxx>

Tue Jun 8 08:51:57 2004 Info: MID 71951308 Message-ID '<200406081251.i58CppRH026267[at]smtp-01-003.root-mail.com>'

Tue Jun 8 08:51:57 2004 Info: MID 71951308 Subject 'testing'

Tue Jun 8 08:51:57 2004 Info: MID 71951308 ready 4050 bytes from <mail[at]smtp-01-003.root-mail.com>

Tue Jun 8 08:51:57 2004 Info: MID 71951308 queued for delivery

Tue Jun 8 08:51:57 2004 Info: New SMTP DCID 38085228 interface 216.154.195.49

address 64.7.195.7

Tue Jun 8 08:51:57 2004 Info: Delivery start DCID 38085228 MID 71951308 to RID [0]

Tue Jun 8 08:51:58 2004 Info: Bounced: DCID 38085228 MID 71951308 to RID 0 - 5.1.0 - Unknown address error ('554', ['5.3.5 buildaddr: no user'])

As you can see, your ISP bounced it. A bounce message was sent back to the smtp-01-003.root-mail.com address but that's probably not a real address. Where the xxxx appears above I've replaced your secret address. However, I know what it was and it looks correct. You can email me directly to confirm it if you want. Are you sure that your ISP actually has an account for you at that address?

If you email me directly, I can send you this log to show your ISP. Please include the date and times above so I don't have to go through all the logs again.

JT

support[at]spamcop.net

Ok, sent another to both addresses identified in your last, just in case it does get filrtered at at one ... with the words spam and spamcop spelled correctly.

Just for giggles, I've not seen a response from either address, or an acknowledgment here that either e-mail made it ...????

Sorry about the delay. I was away from cyberspace for a few days. I got them both and it appears Jeff has traced the problem to vitalstream bouncing the emails. I switched to POPing my spamcop inbox rather than forwarding it until this is resolved.

Thanks for all the help.

Ed

Archived