Devnulling report?

operagost

Maybe I'm clueless, but everything I report says "couldn't parse head". Then, when I report it, it says "devnulling report". What little of *nix I know tells me that's dumping my report into the bit bucket. Why are you doing that? Yes, my emailer is properly formatting the headers! There's nothing else I can do! I've gotten at least a half dozen messages from the same spammer, but if you keep trashing my reports nothing will be accomplished! Stop being so vague in your error messages!

Maybe I'm clueless, but everything I report says "couldn't parse head". Then, when I report it, it says "devnulling report". What little of *nix I know tells me that's dumping my report into the bit bucket. Why are you doing that? Yes, my emailer is properly formatting the headers! There's nothing else I can do! I've gotten at least a half dozen messages from the same spammer, but if you keep trashing my reports nothing will be accomplished! Stop being so vague in your error messages!

Hi, operagost,

...If you would be so kind as to post the tracking URL to one of these, I'll be glad to try to help you. If you're unfamiliar with the term "tracking URL," it's explained here: Spambo's reply to "Total newbie - confused!".

The "couldn't parse head" suggests issues with the form and content of the spam submittal. There's no way to guess how you're submitting your spam, what apps and / or operatiing system is involved ... so another possible start point is http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html technically, one shouldn't be looking for "my emailer is properly formatting the headers" to occur, as what one really wants is to pass the header and body data in a "correct" fashion so that the parser see what it expects .. basically and RFC-822 complaint e-mail ...

The "all reports are dev/null'd" suggests that you've signed on and activated the "mole reporter" status .... please see http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/373.html ....

The tracking ID is "z517578014z3713d70af2f0a5cce223c060a4041d50z".

What I mean when I say that my emailer is properly formatting the headers, is that I have read the FAQ and confirmed that when my email program (PMMail 2000) forwards an email, the headers are totally unchanged (indent is the same and long lines aren't wrapped). The only thing PMMail adds is ">" to the beginning of each line of the header.

I have no idea how to even determine whether I'm a "mole reporter." I've never even heard the term before, and when I log in there is no indication. The FAQ only says what it is, not how to not be one.

The tracking ID is "z517578014z3713d70af2f0a5cce223c060a4041d50z".

You stripped off enough that you're going to make "us" work to convert that to a URL, and even then, are "we" sure that this is a complete number?

What I mean when I say that my emailer is properly formatting the headers, is that I have read the FAQ and confirmed that when my email program (PMMail 2000) forwards an email, the headers are totally unchanged (indent is the same and long lines aren't wrapped). The only thing PMMail adds is ">" to the beginning of each line of the header.

Well, you've said enought right there, that there's no need to try to construct a Tracking URL ... if your app is "adding '>' to all the header lines" .... there's the reason for the errors ... this is a far cry from your previous sentence of "headers are totally unchanged" ... You may want to see if there's some option in reference to Forwarding "in-line" vice "as an attachment"

I have no idea how to even determine whether I'm a "mole reporter." I've never even heard the term before, and when I log in there is no indication. The FAQ only says what it is, not how to not be one.

At this point, I don't recall if there's an easy way to tell either, just pointing out that if you signed up with in the last year or so, this was a box that was selected as default. If you'd want to try posting an actual Tracking URL after the next attempt at parsing (hoping tjat you find an option to change from "Forwarding as In-Line"), I'll guess that "we" can better pinpoint the "are you a mole reporter" question.

The only thing PMMail adds is ">" to the beginning of each line of the header.

That's your problem (or at least the main problem). There is no header that begins with the right angle bracket (>) so the parser isn't seeing the headers. The parser needs full unaltered headers.

When I go to the authorization URL, the word "preferences" is nowhere to be found. Just a text box for manual entry, a "Set cookie" checkbox, "Process spam" and "clear form" buttons, and the "Select outlook/eudora workaround form" link. I decided to just obtain a new autorization address. Why is the "mole" checkbox still there if it's disabled?

I honestly thought Spamcop could ignore the ">". Every emailer I've used puts those in front of the header when in plain-text mode.

When I log in to spamcop, the last item in the menu items at the top of the page (starting with Help & Feedback) is "Preferences" Of course, I have a paid account which might be different.

Perhaps, a free reporter has to re-register in order to change preferences.

Miss Betsy

From the description of the web-page, yes, I'd say that operagost is a free account user. Allegedly, the problem of "re-registering" has been solved, so allegedly, yes, one can re-register with the same e-mail address, uncheck the mole-reporter ox, and things will work just fine (noting that this should generate a new cookie, so one must make sure that the old cookie either disappears or gets deleted)

thought Spamcop could ignore the ">". Every emailer I've used puts those in front of the header when in plain-text mode

Again, there are various modes of Forwarding:, encoding, attaching, etc. ... The SpamCop parser is looking for an actual RFC-822 compliant header, a blank line, and then the body ...

Why is the "mole" checkbox still there if it's disabled?

Not for me to try to conjecture a guess. I'd pointed out the FAQ change many moons ago ... but it was just within the last few days that Deputy Ellen is apologizing over in the newsgroups for not posting this "massive" change anywhere ... More than likely, it's because Julian's focus has been elsewhere of late, such that making changes to the web page, stripping code out (and verifying that nothing else gets tore up) just hasn't made it to the top of the "get-fixed list" ..??

Hi, operagost,

...Looks like your question has been answered without my participation (I don't usually get into the fora on weekends, thus my absence until now) thanks to Wazoo and Spambo.

...Good luck!

Archived