Quick reporting of mails of the own mail server

whoever

Hello,

I established different mailhosts in my quick reporting configuration.

On my primary mailhost I use maildrop to send incoming mails on defnied mail adresses (which receive only spam) to my quick reporting adress.

Now I wanted to check the functionality of my configuration and send test mail to my defined mail address and my mailhost send this testmail to spamcop (as I wished).
But Spamcop identified my primary mailhost now as spam source altough I added this mailhost to the list of my mailhosts in spamcop-configuration.

What can I do?

#1  Strongly suggest switching to "submit" vs "quick" reporting until you get things straightened out.  That way you can look at the SpamCop results and CANX reports before reporting yourself.

#2  If I read correctly, YOU sent a test email to one of your defined addresses (to simulate a spam) and your test email was sent to Spamcop as if it were spam, which is what you wanted.  Spamcop identified YOU as the source of the test email (spam) as it should. ~~ See #1

#1 Yes, I learn from this for the future

#2. Yes, I sended the mail to my defined address and this was sent to spamcop. The test should check if the forwarding of the mail was successfull (yes) and if the configuration auf quick reporting is okay. Here is the problem: Spamcop identified me as the source of the spam although I added my mailhost to the list of own mailhosts.
I thought, if I add the mailhost to the list of own mailhosts, Spamcop wouldn't identify my own mailhosts as source of my reported spam.

#1 With Lking, I strongly recommend using your "submit" address instead of quick reporting while you are figuring this out.

#2 Hint: Spamcop pays attention to the IP addresses found in the received headers the reported emails, and normally ignores the information in the other email headers that identify the alleged sender by email address.

What is the parser to do?  What is added to Mailhost is to keep from reporting your own host in the stack of Received: entries in the header.  But when one of your host is the bottom of the stack, the parser can only conclude that "someone" had hacked your SMTP to send spam and from there send spam to you (among others).  If so, you the source ISP, need to be told i.e. the spam report.  The concept of someone sending them self spam and then reporting it to SpamCop just was not something to consider.

2 hours ago, Lking said:

But when one of your host is the bottom of the stack, the parser can only conclude that "someone" had hacked your SMTP to send spam and from there send spam to you (among others).  If so, you the source ISP, need to be told i.e. the spam report.  The concept of someone sending them self spam and then reporting it to SpamCop just was not something to consider.

Okay, thank you for the explanation - I understand the argumentation

Archived