Sent mail error

some mail in my sent mail folder (using the webmail on spamcop website) appears to be corrupt, its size is only 1k and when you try to open it you get "error showing message".

I also tried forwarding it from the sent mail to my in box but I get the same error.

if Spamcop cannot save my sent mail in a format that I can read I will have to stop using it.

this problem has occured continously for at least the last 3 months on and off.

angry:

Some mail in my sent mail folder (using the webmail on spamcop website) appears to be corrupt, its size is only 1k and when you try to open it you get "error showing message".

I also tried forwarding it from the sent mail to my in box but I get the same error.

if Spamcop cannot save my sent mail in a format that I can read I will have to stop using it.

this problem has occured continously for at least the last 3 months on and off.

angry:

Occasionally, I get a sent message which is corrupt, but usually they are fine. It has been a couple of weeks since the last time it happened for me.

Since I normally use spamcop only to send spam to spamcop, this is not a real problem for me...I simply reselect the messages and forward again. Others here have not posted any problems with the sent folder either, so I am going to assume it is related to your configuration and/or spamcop account.

The majority of the people in this forum are not employees of spamcop, so we have no access to your spamcop email account. In order to better troubleshoot your problem, we will need to know your configuration. What OS and browser with version to start with. Perhaps someone here can replicate the problem or know of a bug that exists.

Please, let us know.

I replied over in Help because I saw it there first.  It should be brought here as this is the thread it belongs in.

Merged both Topics, in the E-Mail Forum ... was going to delte one of the original poster's queries, but .. I noticed that it wasn't a cut/paste effort .. contents are the same, but structure changed. Left for now due to next commet ...

P.S.  Why are we starting to get people posting in all of the forums

I can't answer that one, rather looking at these latest multiple postings as flying in the face of the complaints of this thing being "hard to navigate" .. these recent "post the same thing in multiple Forums" kind of takes the wind out of that complaint .. these folks are "navigating" just fine <g>

Sorry for the multiple post.

The confusion is due to the fact that when you click on "general help" via heldmail/help you are sent directly to the "spam cop help" forum, instead of in my view at least to the list of help forums where I could then select the E-mail help forum. (as is the norm al set up in a lot of help forums.. just by .75 canadian cents worth

Matt

and darn it I still cannot get at sent mail which is really a big problem when you reallly need to know what you said to a client ...

all times have been online via exploer and using a macintosh, but why would this affect the webmail as it is all server side not client side?

The confusion is due to the fact that when you click on "general help" via heldmail/help you are sent directly to the "spam cop help" forum, instead of in my view at least to the list of help forums where I could then select the E-mail help forum. (as is the norm al set up in a lot of help forums.. just by .75 canadian cents worth

Wow! Not being an e-mail side of the house user, this comes as quite a surprise. Am kicking this to JT as soon as I post this.

all times have been online via exploer and using a macintosh

What about Safari? or are we talking older Mac? Probably nothing to do with the issue, but curiosity and trouble-shooting does bring it into question.

Is mattlamb your SpamCop account user account name?

all times have been online via exploer and using a macintosh, but why would this affect the webmail as it is all server side not client side?

As I understand it, creating a document is actually created on the client side in the window and sent to the server when the send button is hit. The corruption could be happening when the send button is hit.

Unfortunately, I don't have a MAC to test with.

The test would be to use a similiar configuration to yours and see if the same problem shows up. If the same thing happens with the same software on a different account and a different machine, there may be a bug in that software or how the webmail app handles that browser.

Do you have another machine that you can access your account with and if so, does the same thing happen? This could determine if your account has a problem or your primary config.

I doubt that there are any differences in the actual message that is sent. I would think it is more the interaction between your client machine and the webmail host machine. The problem could be either side, but there is not a wide cry of "me too" or similiar errors.

The more I write, something hits me about creating long emails and having the client timeout and the message fail to send. This is going back to the newsgroup time, and I may be completely wrong about it. Anyone else have a similiar memory? I have no newsgroup access right now, so I can not check.

Define "work for me".

..."work for me" = "newsgroup access" = ability to search through newsgroup posts.

It finds lots of hits but I never find the thread I am thinking of  :(

...Now I don't feel so bad about having this same feeling when I do Google searches! :D <big g>

tested at work on macintosh same OS and version of explorer... and I was able to read the sent mail that had given errors before!

Of course its possible when I go home later I will aslo be able to see it again as this has occured before where the problem just goes away.. wish tha same could be said for my taxes..

Had dropped a note to JT about the Help pointer and the general description of your Sent Folder issue ... haven't heard back from him or you for that matter (again, is mattlamb your spamcop account name?) .. or perhaps JT looked in this database, cross-searched in that database to come up with your account data and handled something???? .. or maybe it is your account name, so it wasn't that hard to figure out???

For that matter, I've got an iBook sitting here, OSX 10.2.x, IE 5.2 ... an LC-475 sitting in the bathroom, atop a few boxes, some mish-mash of 7.3 to 7.5 as near as I can figure .. think it has some version of Netscape on it .... but don't have access to a SpamCop e-mail account .. so no help there eiher <g>

tested at work on macintosh  same OS and version of explorer... and I was able to read the sent mail that had given errors before!

Of course its possible when I go home later I will aslo be able to see it again as this has occured before where the problem just goes away.. wish tha same could be said for my taxes..

So this is intermittent on the same messages? I have never seen that.

When I see the failure by forwarding spam, the sent message seems to be hosed during the send because the parser can not find the spam in the message and when I go to the sent message, I either can not open it or the message is empty (no attachments).

Let us know if your home machine still has the problem.

In this case it could be some kind of corruption in your mailfile that was fixed by some automatic consistensey check?

Steven, I am only talking about messages that have been sent from within webmail to an outside e-Mail address and I never see any e-mails that relate to "reporting spam" from within webmail .

I can confirm that the problem is intermittent and the individual E-mails are never permanently "hosed' and are readable , but my home machine and the computer at work do at different times report 'error on opening" from the sent mail folder only. All other folders have never given me any problem.

Both computers are Macintosh running sys 9.2 and using explorer 5.1

yep, I is one and the same.

What kind of attention  getting did you try ?

Wazoo Posted: Jun 11 2004, 01:56 PM

Is mattlamb your SpamCop account user account name?

Wazoo Posted: Jun 12 2004, 12:09 AM

Had dropped a note to JT about the Help pointer and the general description of your Sent Folder issue ... haven't heard back from him or you for that matter (again, is mattlamb your spamcop account name?) ..

and of course today's postings ...

Wow! Not being an e-mail side of the house user, this comes as quite a surprise. Am kicking this to JT as soon as I post this.

Well, heard back just now, I'll admit to a bit of confusion. I'll let one of you that's using the e-mail side of the house explain it to me????

> <reference this Topic)

> However, he next pointed out a situation that seems

> odd. This is in reference to a general question asked

> about a number of recent posters putting their stuff in

> multiple Forums ... Is this data true, and if so, can you

> change the pointers to drop users at the top of the

> Forum list?

I think he's talking about this page:

http://www.spamcop.net/help.shtml

I don't have any links to the forums from the email system at all. And the

links on the above page all drop straight to the appropriate forum.

Jeff

To straighten this out a little, I just followed, best I could, he path described.

You start in webmail and click the Held Mail link (AKA VER, not the Held Mail folder inside webmail) and click the "Help & Feedback" link, you are taken to:

http://mailsc.spamcop.net/help.shtml (equivalent to www.spamcop.net/help.shtml).

If you then click the "General Help" link, you are sent to the SpamCop Help forum.

The General Help link is described as:

If you are having trouble using SpamCop, if you have been listed on the SpamCop blocking list or are having trouble using the list, post here.

Perhaps it should specify "trouble using the SpamCop Parsing and Reporting service" or not for the email service.

Archived