[not receiving reports.]

dmmism

I use two different addresses to which I forward spam to SpamCop; one for my POP3 accounts, one for my Hotmail account.

For some reason all the e-mails I have submitted from Hotmail have not had received any reports back. I did a search through the forums the other day and read that the e-mails likely weren't going through, so I did some testing and confirmed that they are, indeed, going through. In fact, if I forward Hotmail messages to the address I use for my POP3 reporting, I get reports.

Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere, but I was unable to find it. I am actually leaving the country in a few days and will be entirely reliant on my Hotmail account, so, needless to say, I am hoping to clear it up soon.

Thanks in advance for any help.

__

David

Leaving us to guess at what Topics/threads you read, what data you're referring to, let's take a flying leap at tying a few issues together. Based on traffic on the Microsoft peer-to-peer newsgroups, HotMail was having issues with some of their servers, symptoms being that some folks could not login. One could suggest that your account was in this mix, and there was some traffic from the SpamCop server sent to your HotMail account, which bounced. At that point, the SpamCop server "turned off" any further attempt at forwading to that account. So your job would be to some how convince the SpamCop server that you still exist and that the account is still valid. I have seen conversations with paid-account users that suggest that there's something under Preferences that you can kick-start things again. As StevenUnderwood suggest, if free, re-register your account (noting that you'll get a new cookie, so you'll want to ensure that the existing cookie(s) are removed)

Based on traffic on the Microsoft peer-to-peer newsgroups, HotMail was having issues with some of their servers, symptoms being that some folks could not login.  One could suggest that your account was in this mix, and there was some traffic from the SpamCop server sent to your HotMail account, which bounced.  At that point, the SpamCop server "turned off" any further attempt at forwading to that account.

The server my Hotmail account is one was slow for a couple days during the period where reprots started to disappear, so that is very likely what happened. Thank you to both of you for your prompt replies.

__

David

I've been running into the similar problem for the last five days or so. I'm using the free version and sending my messages via Hotmail. Set up another account, and things are still stuck somewhere. Not having any problems getting other messages, including spam :angry:

Based on traffic on the Microsoft peer-to-peer newsgroups, HotMail was having issues with some of their servers, symptoms being that some folks could not login.  One could suggest that your account was in this mix, and there was some traffic from the SpamCop server sent to your HotMail account, which bounced.  At that point, the SpamCop server "turned off" any further attempt at forwading to that account.

Ahhh. So this would explain why I haven't been receiving any SpamCop reports. Although I was having this problem long before the Hotmail servers were having problems. It started when SpamCop was having problems, and was probably compounded further when the Hotmail servers started having problems. So I stopped submitting spam to SpamCop except for a few occasional emails. The only place I was submitting spam too was the FTC using their email reporting address. Maybe one of the deputies can comment here on the problem some of us are having with SpamCop. I am a free user.

--Navigatr1

PS: It has been awhile since I posted, and is the first time posting to this new board.

Then might it be possible that you may be victim of a change put in place by your ISP? This has been covered in a couple of other recent Topics (I'd have to look also..) .. but that was the deal .. the ISP put new filters in place, one basically added the word "spam" into the filter set, which was killing off any e-mail from spamcop.net ..???

I re-registered, and received my new SpamCop authorization. I also received the registration authorization for this board at my email account. Wouldn't it stand to reason that if my ISP was killing off any email from spamcop.net, then I wouldn't have received these emails either? Since I am receiving these emails from SpamCop, then I should be receiving the reports too.

However, I am still not receiving them even with the new authorization key. It has been about 24 hours since I submitted UCE using the new key.

--Navigatr1

I wouldn't have received these emails either

I haven't done this myself in a while, but let just toss out that there are multiple servers and systems running under the SpamCop "banner" ... for instance, I know I can point to spamcop.net and cesmail.net .. now, if this has anything to do with where the various items of "SpamCop e-mail" comes from, I can't answer, but ... and I do recall that there are some e-mails sent from" addresses like "nobody[at]" and some ISPs have filtered these out .. HotMail for instance throws these into the Bulk Mail Folder .. and some folks have been known to only check the InBox <g>

But, to both MHC and Navigatr1 ... if one was going to contact either Don or JT and ask them to try to scan some logs to see if they could find your "history" .. they'd need to know things like .. your SpamCop account "name", the ISP involved, the timeframe of the submittals, etc ... that you're both talking about use of e-mail submittals under a free account has me trying to look back at tryin gto sort out just which servers are involved with that. While I'm sitting here befuddled ... have either of you managed to do a web-form paste-in spam submittal? At the very least, this would ensure that the accounts in question are still "active" ...

The email submissions have been a problem for a while.

First, check the web site to see if there is Unreported spam. If there is, there is something happening to the autoresponse from spamcop. If you are the only one experiencing this (IOW, there is not a system delay), then it is probably that spamcop got a bounce and has quit trying. If the other ones posting about the problem are on the same ISP, it is something that your ISP is doing maybe. If no Unreported spam, your email is not getting to spamcop. If it is not a system delay, then it's probably something happening at your ISP.

Second, see if you can submit via the web page form. As Wazoo said, that means that your account is still working and the problem lies in the email.

Third, check all folders to make sure the autoresponses are not hidden somewhere.

Fourth, is the re-registering tactic.

If none of those work, then do what Wazoo said and email the deputies with all the information they would need to troubleshoot.

Occasionally, if the trouble is that an ISP has changed something, someone will find out from the ISP and post. But it is difficult to piece all the complaints together - particularly if they are in different topics and threads. The deputies may see the pattern more quickly.

If you do find out the solution, then post it. Perhaps, there could be a more comprehensive FAQ on why people don't get the email submissions. (For instance, I hadn't heard about Hotmail putting them in the Bulk folder).

Miss Betsy

Having read Stephen's answer, there is another factor when you say no reply to email submission, are you referring to the autoresponses telling you the spam is ready to be reported or the report from quick reporting? If it is the latter, then seeing if ordinary reporting works by email would be an additional step. It may also make a difference whether you are a free or paid reporting only reporter or whether you are using the email system.

I'm probably going to shoot myself in the foot saying this, but for comparison, I am currently getting less that 1 minute turn around time on my email submissions for my free (work) account. Usually by the time I have filed the spam message in the appropriate folder, the reply is waiting for me.

My paid email account has been the same, but most of those are submitted with the "Report as spam" link, so not directly applicable here.

I finally figured out what the problem was by going to the website to make a submission via the website. I followed the link in the email from when I registered to get there. I don't know how to get there manually by following the website links though. Is your key also your password? For those that want to go there append your key to this link http://www.spamcop.net/?code= You won't get there unless you append your key to this link tough.

I found out that my email account had a bounce flag set. Most likely from when the Hotmail servers were having problems. There is an option to reset this flag by clicking on a button. So click on this button to let them know the problem has been resolved, and that the email account is active. The flag will now be reset, and you should start receiving your SpamCop Reports. Note that you will not receive previous SpamCop autoreponses notifying you that your UCE is now ready to report because SpamCop had stopped sending out these reports to you. You will only receive those reported after resetting the bounce flag.

Hope this helps those not receiving their SpamCop reports. The problem lies with SpamCop because your account has been flagged as receiving bounces. You need to reset the bouce flag.

--Navigatr1

Navigatr1, thanks for the feedback. I think this is what I was suggesting a time back, but wasn't sure of the specifics;

I have seen conversations with paid-account users that suggest that there's something under Preferences that you can kick-start things again.

It looks more like editing one of JeffG's Pinned FAQ Entry posts FAQ Entry: Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing? .. He'd added in a remark about the "bounce" status, but didn't take this next leap.

Of course, then we're back to that this is an "e-mail" function (though not tied to a SpamCop e-mail account) .... and of course the all too obvious other set of arguements ... the Topic/FAQ title says "e-mail submissions disappearing" but the "described" problem and "searched for" answer deal with "no response from SpamCop" .....

And, at present, if I add another Topic to "handle" both descriptions, then we're back to the Pinned items overtaking that first screen of the Help Forum .... I'm still trying to find a way to hack the Announcement section based on the several items of critical interest at present of the various parts of the SpamCop system ... well, not trying all that hard, don't want to tick off JT ... but he hasn't come across that request yet apparently ...

Can't you unlock the topic, copy the entire text of navigatr's post, add a reply to topic (I know it will say you posted it but his name will be in the post) with his reply pasted into it, and then lock the topic back up? Or does JeffG have to do it?

Miss Betsy

I wish someone would tell me where this bounce flag is - I don't see it when I go to the web reporting form.

I have never got a report and have reported a lot so far. I always use the web based form to do this and the results are successful, ie. I am told reports will be sent to relevant addresses.

I also tried registering a second time but still nothing comes to me via my standard isp email (not hotmail or yahoo etc).

I have read the comments (pinned - disappearing reports) and nothing there has solved the problem for me.

regards

Louis

louis wrote:

I wish someone would tell me where this bounce flag is - I don't see it when I go to the web reporting form.

I have never got a report and have reported a lot so far. I always use the web based form to do this and the results are successful, ie. I am told reports will be sent to relevant addresses.

If you had a bounce flag to reset, you would know it when you went to the web reporting form. Since you are not seeing it by going to the web reporting form, then my quess is that there is no bounce flag to be reset. It was the first thing I saw when I went to the web reporting form. If I remember correctly, I couldn't do any reporting even via the web form until this flag was reset. So it sounds like your problem might be different. Hope this helps.

--Navigatr1

target practice invited, as I'm sure there are mistakes included.

Wazoo,

Under #2 in problem resolutions, I would add a comment that sOmeTextAnDNumbers in ?code=sOmeTextAnDNumbers is their authorization key for submissions. So all they have to do is substitute their authorization key for sOmeTextAnDNumbers in the link to access their web reporting form.

Also in #3, you might want to mention that they may have unreported spam to report via the web reporting form as a result of the bounces. I think I had a few to report, but it wasn't many.

--Navigatr1

Archived