Inconsistent behaviour

petelobus

I am regularly emailing an associate with a broadband web site. All has been ok, until about 4 weeks ago, when random emails would be bounced back by spamcop. Analysis of the problem suggests that its only emails with attachments that come back, and when they do both the original email and attachment are rejected as dangerous by Microsoft Outlook. I can understand complete blocking (although I dont spam, but do use a Lycos email account), but find this conditional blocking very tedious. Also why are the returned emails regarded as dangerous by Outlook?

Ian Marsh

We would need to see the error message from the bounce to really start to know what is going on.

It sounds like your message to the associate is bouncing back to you if you have an attachment. The spamcop bl is only a list of IP addresses and knows nothing about attachment. My guess is that if the error message is mentioning spamcop, that the message is being used for any rejections and it is being rejected for another reason. You may need to contact the help desk of the ISP bouncing the message. If you do, please have them fix their error message.

Not quite sure if I can do this, but will try to paste the returning post message here.

"This is the Postfix program at host lmfilto03.st1.spray.net.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned

below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can

delete your own text from the message returned below.

The Postfix program

<sales[at]dair.co.uk>: host host1.kbnet.co.uk[81.26.107.2] said: 553 5.3.0 Sorry,

Broadband Services do not accept blacklisted servers. See

<http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=212.78.202.217> (in reply

to MAIL FROM command)"

Cant attach returned files as my computer wont let me see them.

Ian Marsh

I am regularly emailing an associate with a broadband web site. All has been ok, until about 4 weeks ago, when random emails would be bounced back by spamcop. Analysis of the problem suggests that its only emails with attachments that come back, and when they do both the original email and attachment are rejected as dangerous by Microsoft Outlook. I can understand complete blocking (although I dont spam, but do use a Lycos email account), but find this conditional blocking very tedious. Also why are the returned emails regarded as dangerous by Outlook?

Ian Marsh

Your problem has nothing to do with attachments as far as I can see -- it does have to do with spam being sent thru the spray.net mailserver by some spray.net user. I made a system change to push the parser recognition of injecting IP further down the chain which may help your situation and may not. it is unclear to me as to whether spray.net actually indicates the user IP.

Attachments are often not accepted by virus filters. I don't know much about different ways of sending documents, but I think I remember a discussion about better ways than attaching.

Since Ellen has answered the question indicating that spray. net has been listed, it may be just coincidence that when you send an attachment, the IP address is blocked (it is not blocked now).

Miss Betsy

I am regularly emailing an associate with a broadband web site.

Not sure if there is something important about the associate having a broadband web site. On the other hand, if these files are large, special, whatever, perhaps this associate can set up a folder that would all FTP transfer, vice sending these files in e-mail.

All has been ok, until about 4 weeks ago, when random emails would be bounced back by spamcop. Analysis of the problem suggests that its only emails with attachments that come back, and when they do both the original email and attachment are rejected as dangerous by Microsoft Outlook.

As noted by others already, your sample reject notice makes no mention of the attachment, so have to assume that your have other samples that go the extra mile. What you've not described is what kinds of files, what file sizes may be involved, .... due to the constant crafting by the virus and trojan writers of the world, things once considered "standard" are being removed from general access, such as blocking attachments with certain file extensions. Your file may be hitting one of these filter types.

I can understand complete blocking (although I dont spam, but do use a Lycos email account), but find this conditional blocking very tedious. Also why are the returned emails regarded as dangerous by Outlook?

You can thank the spammers, virus writers, and the other lowlife's of the world for mucking up the works. Your query of Outlook's decision is probably due to your configuration settings. I'm still back on Office 97, but I'll go with the settings available to me under Outlook Express 6, SP1 .... there is a setting that reads "Do not allow attachmentsto be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" ... and actually, there is no "decision" made, it just simply blocks out any and all attachments. There would appear to be the same type of "security setting" under your version of Outlook.

Archived