Unknown people are using my site to spam...

swissone

Dear Spamcops,

I am like you I HATE spam! (and get thousands each day). As ceo of swissone.com I have thousands of visitors on my site each month.

Since a few weeks some of them are (I dont know how) sending email with spam to registered members of my website. Apparently they where using a feature of my Classifieds scri_pt that allow the regular users of my site to hide their email and get contacted via a form instead of showing the email.

Now my host is telling me that some people are complaining about swissone as they receive spam. Swissone did NOTHING, somebody used our system to spam...

My host said that if another spam is discovered he will close my account, he also said that he understood and belived me but couldn't do anything against your decision and dont want to take the risk to be blacklisted.

My question is simple. Do I have a word to say? I never spammed anyone and now get problems?

Also note that most of the spam sent has nothing to do with my activities, it's not even in french language... and as far as I know it has not disturbed more than 4-5 people in 5 years... ???

Thank you for your explainations and tips about how to deal with this problem.

Best regards,

Steve

Apparently they where using a feature of my Classifieds scri_pt that allow the regular users of my site to hide their email and get contacted via a form instead of showing the email.

The most obvious answer is to disable this scri_pt.

To provide much more information, we would need the IP address of the server in question so we could investigate.

http://swissone.com/ comes up 404, has it already been shutdown?

http://www.swissone.com/ comes up just fine, so this is apparently the site in question.

Since a few weeks some of them are (I dont know how) sending email with spam to registered members of my website. Apparently they where using a feature of my Classifieds scri_pt that allow the regular users of my site to hide their email and get contacted via a form instead of showing the email.

I gave up looking for the suggested formmail scri_pt. But based on the description you offer, it would seem that this code needs to be looked at, to see how it is being abused (if this is the real problem)

I'm thinking that as "ceo" of this company, you would be able to provide some additinal data, samples, something a bit more specific on what the spam looks like, is it really coming from an "internal" scri_pt provided by "you" ... There's just not a lot of data here for someone to try to give you a complete answer or even a good guess.

Now my host is telling me that some people are complaining about swissone as they receive spam. Swissone did NOTHING, somebody used our system to spam...
The issue is that a scri_pt on your website has been compromised and your machine is the source of spam. While the spam coming from your system may not be promoting your company it's still coming from your system and it's your responsibility to resolve the issue.

Apparently they where using a feature of my Classifieds scri_pt that allow the regular users of my site to hide their email and get contacted via a form instead of showing the email.
I'd suggest that you take the scri_pt offline untill you are able to find a way to secure it.

My question is simple. Do I have a word to say?
Yes. You are here and your are "talking".

I never spammed anyone and now get problems?
That may be true, but a machine you are responsible for appears to be spamming.

Archived