Emails to myself being SpamAssassianated?

I'm finding that emails I send from one of my email addresses to another are getting 4 stars with SpamAssassian...

However if I set SpamAssassian to 5 stars, I get way too much spam getting through...

And also if I set my addresses as white listed, I will end up with a bunch of spam I keep getting impersonated from myself (spammers set both the From & To addresses to my address)...

Is there anything that specifically can be causing this? The only thing I can think of is that my SMTP server is different than is attached to the from email address, however this assumably would happen if I used xxxx[at]spamcop.net and my ISP's SMTP server...

Anybody know why/have any ideas??? :unsure:

too many "dark spots" in your "explanation / description" of the problem. A set of headers for instance might illuminate the issue a bit. Even perhaps defining the "one e-mail address to another e-mail address" as being a SpamCop Filtered e-mail issue to begin with, vice heading off to the SpamAssassin support Forums or talking to the ISP of the "received" e-mails ...????

I signed up for a SpamCop.net account yesterday in hopes that the combination of SpamCop's blacklist & SpamAssassian ratings would catch some of the spam that my current service was missing...

Much to my dissapointment, I checked my mail today to find 24 messages (all spam) that wern't rated. I have my SpamAssassian filter set to 5, as setting it to 4 WOULD cause information that I emailed to myself to be caught as spam (I can't simply allow all messages from myself to go though, due to spammers putting the same address as from & to).

My prevous service would have caught much more (only 5-ish would have gotten though)... :(

As of now I'm trying a combination of both the headers from SpamCop (& SpamAssassian), and my prevous service (MessageFire) combined...

At this point though, this seems to be very extreme, but I'm not sure what else to try right now...

I don't quite follow your starting yet another Topic, but basically repeating what you said in the one you started yesterday .... the only "big" change I see is that you changed the "one e-mail address to another e-mail address" to "maybe your SpamCop account(?)" .... and on top of that, you've another Topic started with an answer about "Tagging" headers, in which you thought that sounded great, but make no mention of this in this last post ....

I actually had two different issues. The first one was a case that I HAD to set my SpamAssassian cutoff to 5, because any less than that would cut off messages to myself. I was wondering if there was any particular setting causing a higher rating. The ONLY thing I could think of was that my primary email address ends in an [at]mydomain and my smpt server is smtp.myisp.net (names have been changed to protect the innocent)...

However, I found that if I did use the email address [at]myisp.net with the same smtp server, I STILL got a rating of 4 stars... So the difference in the email domain and the smtp domain is obvously a negligable factor... Which probably means there isn't much I can do on my end to lower my SpamAssassian rating...

My further problem today was the fact that now not only are a couple emails getting through due to this setting, but WAY MORE are getting though than ever did with my prevous service... I'm even finding that many which got though wouldn't even have been stopped with a SpamAssassian setting of 4 stars... And unfortunatly the majority of spam that I recieve is NOT blacklisted by SpamCop istelf... This has left me in a position where using SpamCop, I'm getting way to many spam messages sneaking though to my inbox...

It's frustrating... I was hoping this service would be better than my other service, because with my other I'm noticing a few more messages getting though as time goes on. However SpamCop and SpamAssassian have let WAY MORE though than my other service ever did...

If in a manner of 8-ish hours I can get 25 spam messages incorrectly tagged as valid email, then after a weekend I will be sorting though a couple hundred spam messages. This gets increadibly annoying ESPECIALLY considering that I on average get 2 to 5 valid emails a day. That would mean after a weekend I would fish though 200 spam messages to try to find what could be 1 to 10 valid emails... With my prevous service after a weekend I would get somewhere between 5 - 20 spam messages getting though...

What I'm actually doing right now, though, is using both services. So far today it's been around 100% between SpamCop AND my other service. However, this method is not prefered, as I would rather have 1 account with 1 company to fight my spam... I was hoping SpamCop would be that one company, but at this point it doesn't look like it will be... :(

I see a lot of complaining about the service but still no helpful data to try and determine the problem.

I still have not seen you post any of the headers, specifically the headers spamcop adds to the message when spamassassin does it's thing.

They will look like:

X-spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 2.63 (2004-01-11) on blade6

X-spam-Level: **

X-spam-Status: hits=2.6 tests=CLICK_BELOW,SARE_OEM_PRODS_1,SARE_OEM_PRODS_FEW, SARE_PRODUCTS_02,SARE_PRODUCTS_03,SAVINGS version=2.63

X-SpamCop-Checked: 192.168.1.101 69.56.175.229 65.82.181.165

X-SpamCop-Disposition: Blocked list.dsbl.org

If you post them we MIGHT be able to tell you what about your own messages is triggering such a high spamassassin score. Also, have you tried sending a blank message to see what the minimum score you would get? A blank message from Yahoo through my account gives a score of 0.0 (X-spam-Status: hits=0.0 tests=none version=2.63)

Have you enabled any of the other bl's as well? With all the bl's used, I get at most 5 spam messages a day through while spamcop is catching about 200 per day. This is of course dependent on whether you can lower the base spamassassin. You may also be able to turn off spamassassin with the other bl's, depending on your spam.

I'm going to repeat my Jul 1 2004, 01:23 PM comments; too many "dark spots" in your "explanation / description" of the problem. A set of headers for instance might illuminate the issue a bit.

Archived