[Resolved] Forwarding as Attachment Not Working Any Longer

SKova

About 6 months ago I posted a question related to this and since changing to Spectrum (and my SMTP from my domain provider), I have been completely unsuccessful at forwarding spam to Spamcop as an attachment. The only way it appears to work is if I manually copy the source into the webpage and do it that way. Any ideas as to how to find out where this is breaking down? Is anyone else still successfully forwarding as an attachment?

Thank you,

Stephen

Last question first - yes forwarding spam as an attachment works fine, IF the email application used correctly includes the attachments email with complete header.

So the clue is in you OP.  When you "changed to Spectrum" did you also change the application used to send email to SC?  What application are you using to send email, with spam attached, to SC?

Looking at you older post, Thunderbird still works fine for me.

7 hours ago, SKova said:

About 6 months ago I posted a question related to this and since changing to Spectrum (and my SMTP from my domain provider), I have been completely unsuccessful at forwarding spam to Spamcop as an attachment. The only way it appears to work is if I manually copy the source into the webpage and do it that way. Any ideas as to how to find out where this is breaking down? Is anyone else still successfully forwarding as an attachment?

Thank you,

Stephen

Works for me from my FastMail account.
SpamCop may not be replying to you because of bounced emails to your address?

Check preferences 

16 hours ago, Lking said:

Last question first - yes forwarding spam as an attachment works fine, IF the email application used correctly includes the attachments email with complete header.

So the clue is in you OP.  When you "changed to Spectrum" did you also change the application used to send email to SC?  What application are you using to send email, with spam attached, to SC?

Looking at you older post, Thunderbird still works fine for me.

Hello LKing,

To answer your question, yes, I changed the application used to send email to SC. That lead me to an experiment this morning. If I forward an email that I know is spam, it does not make it to SC. If I forward an email that I know is not spam, it makes it through. It is the specific email that is not making it. It has to be that something in Spectrum's system is deleting the spam that is being forwarded while allowing the other through, or that something at SC is rejecting the email. I have two points of receiving emails from my domain, one is a local mail server with Popfile classifying the spam and two from at the domain hosting side. My local mail server will retrieve any email that lands at the domain hosting and also run it through Popfile. I was wondering if it is possible that the Popfile classification is what is triggering the failed forwards, it adds "X-Text-Classification: spam" to the headers along with a link for classification setup. It has been like this for years and I have not had any issues until I last reported it.

I am doing an experiment to see if that it possibly the issue, I shutdown my local mail server so that they will be at the domain side. I also disabled the spam filters at the domain to hopefully ensure that spam would be received. After I receive something there, I will attempt to forward and see what it does. If there is anything else that you think of or notice, let me know please.

Thank you,

Stephen

LKing,

Here is an update after testing directly from my domain with my local mail server shutoff and all email going to the domain (hosted at Doteasy.com). I received some spam emails, forwarded two as an attachment to SC and waited a few minutes. Then also forwarded two non-spam emails as an attachment to SC and received back a confirmation of those. When I reviewed them on the SC page, the only ones showing where the non-spam ones.

Not sure where to go next, as it is either being rejected at SC or both Doteasy and Spectrum are blocking the forwards since they are spam.

Thank you

21 minutes ago, SKova said:

both Doteasy and Spectrum are blocking the forwards since they are spam

That is a real possibility. You need to check with your ISP.  At one time I had that issues with my internet host.

If SC received your email there would be a report to process in your account and return email (see petzl's post above).

• 3 weeks later...

Update, I did find that both Doteast and Spectrum are blocking forwarding of spam. I was able to get Doteasy to setup a special rule to allow the emails to be forwarded to Spamcop from my personal email. It is working in that manner. I am not able to forward through Spectrum, and they are not responding to requests about it.

I will consider this closed since I now know the cause and have a solution.

Archived