Spamcop suggestion

Hi there, a couple of years ago when I had a spamcop account, the system used to email unknown senders and ask them to click a link so that the held email could get through to me.

Is there any chance this could be enabled again?

At the moment, I get about 50 spams a day in my held folder.

I'd like the genuine senders to still get through if they have been caught in the spam filter.

That is known as challenge response (c/r) and those systems do not work with the way current spam and virus plague the web.

As you know almost all of your spam has invalid reply-to addresses. So you want to send all of those innocent people a challenge to respond to an email they didn't send or a virus that wasn't on their machine?

That is just one example of why it does not work and there are many more. It is a very poor system indeed.

You could start with http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1686

which includes a post http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...756entry10756 that points to some previous conversations that include your suggested fine, working, wonderful mailblocks Mailblocks.com, Mailblocks.com is the solution to spam!

mailblocks.com rant

I am a normal person and am still blocked, What to do

As stated, there are two sides to the issue, and SpamCop quit doing the C/R method because it basically sucks for anyone other than the e-mail account holder that sits blissfully behind the wall (of ignorance)

At the moment, I get about 50 spams a day in my held folder.

I'd like the genuine senders to still get through if they have been caught in the spam filter.

14364[/snapback]

Could you not issue Challenge/Response to emails that have NOT been flagged as being spam??

14368[/snapback]

Those two statements don't really seem to work together. First, you're saying that if the people's mail gets into the Held Mail folder, then you would liek to have a c/r sent to them, but then you ask if c/r messages can be triggered by just those messages that are not flagged as spam. If a message is in the Held mail folder, it is because it is flagged as spam. So feel free to just pretend that it is working that way today. :)

(And as a side note, I long for hte days that I just have 50 messages float to my held mail folder per day. Last time I went through it was about 8 hours ago, and I'm well over that count already. And it's a weekend. :))

Those two statements don't really seem to work together.  First, you're saying that if the people's mail gets into the Held Mail folder, then you would liek to have a c/r sent to them, but then you ask if c/r messages can be triggered by just those messages that are not flagged as spam.  If a message is in the Held mail folder, it is because it is flagged as spam.  So feel free to just pretend that it is working that way today. :)

(And as a side note, I long for hte days that I just have 50 messages float to my held mail folder per day.  Last time I went through it was about 8 hours ago, and I'm well over that count already.  And it's a weekend. :))

14377[/snapback]

I mean ones that are flagged by the RBL.

I have other emails that are caught by spam assassin which aren't spam.

Archived