Posting to the forum

dbiel

I have noticed that the forum software seems to function quite differently based on what computer I am using at the time.

When composing a message and clicking on the code button "quote"

at home it opens up a dialog box scri_pt prompt with a entry box with the default "undefined" highlighted which can be overwritten or accepted. If accepted the following is posted [ QUOTE]undefined[ /QUOTE] (color added for reference)

at work clicking on quote simply inserts the opening quote tag [ QUOTE] and adds a * to the Quote code button. You then enter the data you wish and simply click on the code button to close the tag.

This this fuctionality user adjustable or is it browser dependant?

Note: a space was inserted into the tag to allow it to display

Note: I use the same login at work and at home

I am having a terrible time getting used to how to edit and use quotes, etc. for replies in Firefox. It is a lot different than IE (and I am not sure I like it). But as usual, I haven't gotten to the point where 'if all else fails, read the instructions.' (You know, I probably should have used IE to revise that FAQ and Wazoo might have been able to cut/paste).

Miss Betsy

IE and FireFox under Win-98Se .... can't duplicate your "undefined" error.

IE and Safari under OS-X .. can't duplicate your "undefined" error, though noting that under Safari, the cursor position didn't move .....

Best guess is that the versions of java scri_pt don't match between your two different systems.

IE and FireFox under Win-98Se .... can't duplicate your "undefined" error.

Just for clarifcation, my statement had nothing to say about it being an error, just a different way of doing the same function with differing effects.

The entire promt reads as follows:

Explorer User Prompt

scri_pt Prompt:

Enter the text to be formated

[ QUOTE]xxx[ /QUOTE] space added to tag to allow it to print

undefined

"undefined" is highlighted and therefor disappears as soon as you type anything.

The difficultly with this method is you can only paste the first paragraph, the rest is discarded.

This is not a major issue as you can simply repaste in the body. or simply type the tags directly instead of using the code button.

Thank you for your reply

By the way the browser I use at home is IE 5.50.4807.2300IC with SP2 running under windows NT4.0 Server

I know, you say why would you ever do anything like that. Believe it our not I do have some reasons for doing so, but do not want to write a novel.

It was just a request to see if it might be user adjustable or not, if it were I would change it, if not I can and will live with it.

Just for clarifcation, my statement had nothing to say about it being an error, just a different way of doing the same function with differing effects.

The entire promt reads as follows:

Explorer User Prompt

scri_pt Prompt:

Enter the text to be formated

[ QUOTE]xxx[ /QUOTE]  space added to tag to allow it to print

undefined

"undefined" is highlighted and therefor disappears as soon as you type anything.

The difficultly with this method is you can only paste the first paragraph, the rest is discarded.

This is not a major issue as you can simply repaste in the body. or simply type the tags directly instead of using the code button.

Thank you for your reply

By the way the browser I use at home is IE 5.50.4807.2300IC with SP2 running under windows NT4.0 Server

I know, you say why would you ever do anything like that.  Believe it our not I do have some reasons for doing so,  but do not want to write a novel.

It was just a request to see if it might be user adjustable or not, if it were I would change it, if not I can and will live with it.

14883[/snapback]

I find similar discrepancies between Firefox & IE using phpbb and Vbb. e.g. in phpbb using IE you can embolden text, (or whatever), by highlighting the text and clicking on 'bold' and the bold tags are correctly placed either side of the selected text with no 'enter text' screen necessary - beautiful - as it should be! In FF I find that simply doesn't work, unfortunately. I suspect it is down to the way Firefox handles java scri_pt compared to IE and is not user definable. I far prefer the way both bb sets of software work with IE, but then I expect they were developed with IE as the main test browser.

Archived