Reporting IP addresses only

matejicek

Is it acceptable/efficient/useful to report only the IPs of the spammers? Will the addresses get into the blacklist?

My email client is not very convenient to extract the entire spam (headers and body), and it seems too much work considering the expected outcome (most of my spam comes from Korea and China, whose providers typically don't give a damn). I would be happy if the IPs were just added to the blacklist...

SpamCop's instructions on the reporting page "Paste entire spam (headers, blank line, body) - or - single address (one line only): " seem to suggest that this would work, but are a bit too brief.

The paste-your-spam-here web-page box merged what once was two separate functions. You paste something in, the first check is to see whether it's a single-line of text or not ... if not, then the data is passed to the spam parsing engine. If a single line, that text is sent to something probably best characterized as a database look-up.

Anything added to a BL or stats would only come from the agreed to checked boxes on a report submittal page, so the one-line thing would not suffice.

Is there some reason you chose not to reveal your e-mail client? Have you gone through the FAQ to see if there may be some other solution for your client?

Is it acceptable/efficient/useful to report only the IPs of the spammers? Will the addresses get into the blacklist?

16117[/snapback]

...Essentially, that's exactly what the SpamCop parser does: it determines the IP address that is the source of the spam from the e-mail Internet headers.

My email client is not very convenient to extract the entire spam (headers and body), and it seems too much work considering the expected outcome (most of my spam comes from Korea and China, whose providers typically don't give a damn). I would be happy if the IPs were just added to the blacklist...

<snip>

16117[/snapback]

...Nor is mine (MS Outlook). That's why I generally submit by forwarding spam as attachment to the SpamCop special submission e-mail address that I received when I registered as a reporter.

...IIUC, the body of the message is really only used to find any "spamvertised" web sites, and so is not really essential to the parser and does not add anything to the blocklist.

Archived