Spamvertised Websites

w3clunde

I've recently seen discussions of a plug-in to Spamassassin which incorporates a "Spamvertised Website List" reportedly disseminated by Spamcop.

I have some questions about this: 1. Is there such a list? 2. If so, where can one examine it? 3. How is it assembled and maintained?

I've recently seen discussions of a plug-in to Spamassassin which incorporates a "Spamvertised Website List" reportedly disseminated by Spamcop. 

I have some questions about this:  1. Is there such a list?  2. If so, where can one examine it?  3. How is it assembled and maintained?

16422[/snapback]

reports...reports..reports

16422[/snapback]

With SpamAssasin 3.0 B (May be out of Beta now), there is an option to look up the I.P. addresses that the URLs in e-mail point to, and check those I.P. addresses against the same DNSbls that list I.P. addresses.

This provides a more accurate and faster acting system than trying to match the text URLs in a spam database, as the spammers are only using a URL for a brief period of time before abandoning it, but the same I.P. ranges are used over and over again.

By comparing the text URL, you have a window of time before a new Domain/URL shows up in a report to spamcop.net.

By checking the I.P. address, or if the URL does not resolve, it is less likely that there will be a window of time before some DNSbl is listing the I.P. address.

-John

Personal Opinion Only

Archived