Parsing Problem

dbiel

Here's one for the oddity file.

SpamCop email account

I sent 3 spam messages as attachements to a single email to SpamCop

When I logged onto the reporting site and clicked on report now, the only thing that came up is the SpamCop Logo, the remainder of the screen was blank.

I tried clicking on the email link for the first message - same result.

Clicking on the 2nd and 3rd links resulted in normal reporting

This appears to be a fluke, so I am not concerned about it, but thought someone might be interested in seeing it. This is the link to the message http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z650125449z73...ddf4ae2d76b1ecz

Clicking on this link will also open up the login window above the logo, logging in does nothing but remove the login screen (only the logo is left)

Strange.

In reply to the next two posts I have added the link to the 2nd message below which goes though the parse just fine. The first one still will not display any part of the reporting window other than the spamcop logo.http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z650125452z31...08d2ee38cc6669z

Its kind of hard to believe that it is a browser problem when the first one displays nothing and the 2nd one works fine.

Just for clarifaction the following is part of what does not display for me on the first one but does display from the 2nd one

Help Site Map Statistics Mailhosts Report spam 
|
Check Mail Held Email Past Reports Preferences 
SpamCop v 1.371 (c) SpamCop.net, Inc. 1998-2004 All Rights Reserved
spam Header
This page may be saved for future reference:

The result of the parse is actually;

Report spam to:

Re: 220.144.219.161 (Administrator of network where email originates)

To: tech-c[at]mesh.ad.jp (Notes)

I'm not exactly sure how to suggest you "fix" something, but the issue is the use of some off the wall character set ... My guess is that your browser is trying to switch to this other character set for display, but either there is no character set available or there's some other issue., like an issue with downloading some additional font, based on one of your configuration settings somewhere ..????

Well it is definately a browser problem as when I try it a work, it works fine, but on my home computer it does not work; and it does not matter what method I try to use to open it.

I guess we will just have to chalk it up to the font issue as Wazoo stated.

Thank you.

Who would have though that the fonts used in an email would have an effect on the display of the SpamCop form data as well?

Well it is definately a browser problem as when I try it a work, it works fine, but on my home computer it does not work; and it does not matter what method I try to use to open it.

Though I should move over to another system and give it a look, the main system I'm on has so much stuff installed (and that's still after removing three hard drives <g>) that's why I'm really not sure where to point you to a fix that I'm sure wouldn't also carry some other unneeded or unwanted baggage.

I guess we will just have to chalk it up to the font issue as Wazoo stated.

Thank you.

Who would have though that the fonts used in an email would have an effect on the display of the SpamCop form data as well?

I'm not 100% sure that it hosed the SpamCop side of things (noting I did pull up the report target data .. [speaking of that, would you want me to send/cancel that report? .. ok, stupid question, I just remembered you said you saw it at work]) .. I still think it's that whatever is getting displayed has been converted to a "null" character set on your screen ... Though having run across this numerous times in past work helping out foreign exchange students and their foster parents in getting connected to "back home" ... I can't help but recall a customer calling from the east coast (had set-up his office years before, then moved back 'here') .. he'd been to all the local stores, had the local experts all worked over, but ... He'd read an article about Windows slowing down if one had too many fonts installed, asked someone about it and they agreed, so he took that newfound bit of knowledge and simply went in and deleted the Fonts Folder. He didn't notice a problem until he came in the next morning and turned everything back on <g>

Please imagine the fun of trying to step someone through any kind of repair work over the telephone, talking to someone that has only a bit of some vertical lines, dots, and a dash or two appearing on screen <g> (add in that he did not touch type, the only place the mouse fit was on top of an HP scanner that had a domed top, and there was an "ooops!" vocalized much too often from that end of the phone)

Thanks Wazoo, but I not going to worry about any fix at this time as it seems to be a one time fluke.

I would agree with your interpretation of the type being replace with nul values.

It just seem strange, given the multiple fonts used by SpamCop, that every character in every font would be replaced with nul's because of one problem font, but that is what seems to have happened.

Thanks again

Archived