Cannot register hostname

I'm trying to register a hostname for the WhoIsGuard system at Name Cheap. I get the email back and after I post it to the website, I get the following errors:

Sorry, SpamCop has encountered errors:

Test email was not recognized.

It appears the special codes section of the email has been altered.

What should I do? My account got disabled over this, and I emailed back the message to the SpamCop person that contacted me. No answer. Meanwhile my spam is piling up, and my SpamCop email account is disabled.

Chuck Pint

Guess #1 -- the "changed codes" issue .. maybe take a look at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2424

Guess #2 -- Take a look at one or two of the Pinned items in this Forum, especially the ones that say "Read before Posting"

Guess #3 -- the MailHost thing is only a "configuration" item, hooking up your "stuff" into a shared database used when parsing your spam submittals .... from my perspective, there's quite a distance between going through a MailHost configuration sequence and disabling of your actual account ... only thing possible is that you left out a lot of detail about just what yu really did <g> and that really leaves "us" in the dark as to what happened to get your account disabled ....

Conjecturement: you started the MailHost configuration process. Probe e-mails were sent, you reported them as spam. The SpamCop parsing engine threw up a red flag and notified one of the Admin Staff. Don looked at the red flag, looked at the reported "spam" and sent you a "nice" letter ... Under those circumstances, my guess is that you might have to work really, really hard for him to spend any more time on your behalf.

On the other hand, maybe you've got a better explanation of how running a MailHost sequence could have somehow earned you a letter from "someone" that closed your account? It has to be in the information not yet provided.

Sorry, I guess I should explain more.

First, I did see the post about changed codes. There are no extra spaces at the end of the lines of my email, so it doesn't apply.

Second, I read all the Pinned items, and again none applied. I send emails to all the suggested parties, and no replies (I've waited 24 hours)

Third your conjecture is totally off-base. Name Cheap has a service that hides your whois information with a email address that goes to them, rather than directly to me. Some spammer decided to harvest that address and send some spam. I reported about 10 spams (yes they were all real spams), and because of the mailhost thing, a forwarding relay got reported instead of the actual sender. I had no idea there was a forwarding relay, much less it's name.

So I get an email (from Ellen, BTW), stating my account was disabled and I needed to register the relay with the mailhost form in order to get my account back. But all I get is the error. I've forwarded the message as an attachment. I've contacted Ellen (replying with the email she first sent as requested). No response.

So now I'm trying this forum.

Chuck

Just doing the best I could at filling in the gaps ...

the second item was also pointing out the contact points for escalation ..

third thing, as I said, just my best guess based on insufficient data

However, reading the Pinned items should have revealed to you that actually reporting any spam should not have been attempted until the MailHost thing was done and the parsing out was verified for "good" reporting ....

I can tell you that my last e-mail to Ellen was responded to hours after the issue had been touched by Don ... implying that once again, Ellen is swamped and trying to play catch-up .... I will also state that I did send her another e-mail about this situation, as I find the current status a bit confusing. Yes, I see where you made some mistakes, yes, I can see why a decision was made to whack your account (SpamCop does have rules, stated within the FAQ, found here and on the www.spamcop.net pages) .... but I don't grok the "continue the MailHost configuration thing" in the same sentence as "your account is terminated" ....

Just doing the best I could at filling in the gaps ...

the second item was also pointing out the contact points for escalation ..

third thing, as I said, just my best guess based on insufficient data

However, reading the Pinned items should have revealed to you that actually reporting any spam should not have been attempted until the MailHost thing was done and the parsing out was verified for "good" reporting ....

I can tell you that my last e-mail to Ellen was responded to hours after the issue had been touched by Don ... implying that once again, Ellen is swamped and trying to play catch-up .... I will also state that I did send her another e-mail about this situation, as I find the current status a bit confusing.  Yes, I see where you made some mistakes, yes, I can see why a decision was made to whack your account (SpamCop does have rules, stated within the FAQ, found here and on the www.spamcop.net pages) .... but I don't grok the "continue the MailHost configuration thing" in the same sentence as "your account is terminated" ....

17794[/snapback]

1. Not having the registered name nor the name that the OP might use in emailing me I have no idea whether we have received the second email and/or whether I replied.

2. As we had a little joe job attack today and I had to clear out 1700 or so bounce and C/R and OOO emails out of the mailbox, it is entirely possible that a real email got moved into devnull by accident

3. It *is* the weekend and I really only work 5 days a week but I try to check in on the weekends several times a day to handle crises so if the OP wants to resend email #2 I'll keep an eye out for it.

4. An account suspension does not stop the account owner from registering mailhosts; it only stops the account holder from reporting spam.

5. It is pretty standard to suspend an account when there are missing mailhosts to make sure that more damage isn't done by having more spam reported to the wrong place and having IPs listed that shouldn't be.

Archived