Refused or not refused, that is the question

madkingsoup

I regularly get spam which routes via rtcomm.ru. Every time, I get a response along the lines of:

spamcop.jpg

When I'm in a bad mood, I email these ISPs that refuse Spamcop reports outright (as oppose to refusing munged reports) to ask them why.

This is the response I got:

rtcomm.jpg

Is the reponsive Nikolai lying to me, or is there a flaw in Spamcop's database? :huh:

Watch this space...

MKS

I regularly get spam which originates from rtcomm.ru. Every time, I get a response along  the lines of:

spamcop.jpg

When I'm in a bad mood, I email these ISPs that refuse Spamcop reports outright (as oppose to refusing munged reports) to ask them why.

This is the response I got:

rtcomm.jpg

Is the reponsive Nikolai lying to me, or is there a flaw in Spamcop's database?  :huh:

Watch this space...

MKS

17873[/snapback]

Well he wrote back from security[at] not abuse[at] I have written to both addresses to get a clarification.

For those that can't delve the mysteries here, madkingsoup's original post includes links to graphic images ... the first graphic depicted a screen shot of a SpamCop parsing result that included "abuse[at]rtcomm.ru refuses Spamcop reports" ... the next graphic was a bit of an edited e-mail depicting Nikolai's reponse from "security" stating that rtcomm.ru does not refuse reports from Spamcop, blaming a mistake in Spamcop's logic.

I believe Ellen is stating that she has tried to contact this Nikolai at rtcomm.ru .... what isn't mentioned is that this particular abuse address has been complained about in the newsgroups for months (at least) They have allegedly asked for and received a third-party notification flag for some items .. and the complaints have been about the fact that this abuse address pops up as an interested third-party, but immediately followed by "refuses SpamCop reports" .... However, I don't see where madkingsoup referenced this third-party scenario, so something a bit different perhaps???

Anyway, kicked off a note to her about the history of this place.

Anyway, kicked off a note to her about the history of this place.

17878[/snapback]

Despite their having a fairly early SC account (in the 400K range), the system shows they have only been sent 8 reports for all time.

IIRC from couple or three years ago, one of their abuse folks had a real fit over some spam reports and came out very anti-SC, stating he didn't want any more SC reports. His name is on the tip of my tongue, but I can't seem to spit it out.

Perhaps he has moved on to bigger and better things.

Richard

Archived