Parser Slow

turetzsr

...E-mail submissions to the parser seem to be slow. I sent an e-mail spam at 9:13:41 EDT that according to the return e-mail was

Received: ... by vmx2.spamcop.net with ESMTP; 30 Sep 2004 06:13:46 -0700

(one second later) but that came back

Received: from sc-app2.eq.ironport.com (HELO spamcop.net) (192.168.19.202)
  by vmx2.spamcop.net with SMTP; 30 Sep 2004 07:55:38 -0700

(over one hour and a half later).

Seeing more than a 2 hour delay while inside spamcop right now. Received my first reply (11 messages attached) but not the 2 singles I sent about the same time.

Received the first reply:

Received: from sc-app1.eq.ironport.com (HELO spamcop.net) (192.168.19.201) by vmx1.spamcop.net with SMTP; 30 Sep 2004 12:01:36 -0700

The email which triggered this auto-response had the following headers:

Received: from vmx1.spamcop.net (sc-smtp1.eq.ironport.com [192.168.18.81]) by sc-app1.eq.ironport.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 82211A674A0 for <x>; Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:44:36 -0700 (PDT)

P.S.

Other 2 replies received:

Received: from sc-app2.eq.ironport.com (HELO spamcop.net) (192.168.19.202) by vmx1.spamcop.net with SMTP; 30 Sep 2004 13:37:20 -0700

Received: from vmx2.spamcop.net (sc-smtp2.eq.ironport.com [192.168.18.82]) by sc-app2.eq.ironport.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 1131051593F for <x>; Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:40:36 -0700 (PDT)

Received: from sc-app4.eq.ironport.com (HELO spamcop.net) (192.168.19.204)

by vmx2.spamcop.net with SMTP; 30 Sep 2004 13:10:13 -0700

Received: from vmx1.spamcop.net (sc-smtp1.eq.ironport.com [192.168.18.81]) by sc-app4.eq.ironport.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 22B075132 for <x>; Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:01:43 -0700 (PDT)

These took around 4 hours for processing inside of spamcop.

Somewhere yesterday afternoon, I decided to make another attempt at resurrecting part of a hard drive. This was the drie that was on the same cable as the drive that decided to beat its heads against the side of the case. What was left on this drive was the extended partition with three logical drives within that partition. Windows would "see" those drives and even list the files, but trying to "touch" one of those files locked up the system. Missing totally in action were the (I think) two primary partitions on that drive. Only one system around here that would handle this big of a drive natively (Promise cards or ancient hardware everywhere else) So my main system got torn apart.

Norton Disk Doctor wouldn't touch the drive. Parition Magic wouldn't touch the drive. Knoppix boof CD got as far as trying to fill in the fstab entries and it would lock up. I've lost count of all the utilities I've tried to go in at bit level and try to sort out something to pull those first partitions back into something that would at least allow access to something on that drive.

Had to drop all the way back to fdisk, make the primary ... then found that I still had to run it through a format for anything to touch it ... NDD in maintenance mode, allegedly allowing bit access to a drive, still wouldn't talk ... OK, partition made, format applied, now all those apps would talk to the drive .. lots of help ... fired up Norton's Unformat .. did get stuff back, but assume it's all hosed probably due to cluster/sector size being all wrong, but the data on the extended partition is now available.

So in the hours of waiting for the Unformat thing to run through its failed mission, I had to bow to that old age thing. I love the key action of these $10 USD keyboards, but these are the ones that I keep wearing the ink off the keys. Fired up the iBook, and again, too dark to see that keyboard without using a flashlight, tipping the screen forward, or turning on lights that were just too bright to be comfortable .... flipped on another laptop, this one with black keys & white legends .. same issue, too dim to see firectly or cranks on those too bright lights .. and then the 800x600 display which is a pain to g back to <g>

Things are a bit out of hand right now <g> I'm sitting here looking at 11 desktop / tower systems up and running, all within arms reach (on;y four are "mine") and two laptops piled here on the couch. Two KVM units in use, VNC running all over the place .. and too many of those $10 keyboards laying around ... so trying to remember which monitor is connected to which system, which keyboad / mouse goes where, what I'm trying to accomplish on each unit .... I'll admit to being a bit distracted for the better part of last evening / night.

On the other hand, software plug ... thing called Synergy, (think found on SourceForge) ... I'm knocked out ... network your systems, figure out your "pattern" ... and you've got one keyboard / mouse able to "talk" to multiple systems ... main system in front of me, run the mouse off the right of that screen, and the mouse pointer shows up on the system (screen) sitting to the right .. mouse and keyboard of the main system now "talks" to that system on the right ... slide the mouse back to the left of that screen, pointer arrives on the main screen .. move it off the left side, and now you're "talking" to the system on the left ... can't do drag and drop, but cut & paste works

So after all that, rebuilt my main system .. newsgroup traffic about the slowdown was basically yesterday afternoon / evening .. nothing since. Nobody piling on in this Topic. Looking at the stats graphics, the numbers look very odd. Saw that Ellen had a bunch of free time and posted all over the place here, but no reference to the speed issue. I know Don's usual response to this is to "take a nap" ... so, is the response time still hosed? (Wondering if the graphics are reflecting this or Julian changed the tracking items once again)

Wazoo....All I can say to that is WOW..... ;)

You sounded like my 3 year old for a minute while I was trying to figure out where you were going with all that.

(slow down, you move to fast.....)

The speed issue does seem to be corrected today and there has been no mention anywhere I have seen about the fix.

Archived