How can I cancel this?

studog

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?track=1234567890...678901234567890

The line of text "1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890" is something I keep on my clipboard a lot, and I accidentally pasted it into the

spam reporting area on the web interface, instead of the spamsource info that I thought was on my clipboard.

I hit submit as I was realising what had happened, but then the final screen came up. That's right, there was no intermediate report spam or not screen, so I couldn't cancel the reports.

Looking at this more carefully, I'm not convinced that reports have actually been sent. Can someone confirm that for me?

...Stu

A single IP address (that is what spamcop is interpreting that line as) will only return the reporting addresses for that IP.

No reports were sent.

I find it interesting that the decimal equivalent of the dotted quad wil be accepted in this tool. Were spammers using the decimal equiivalent for a while? I never remember receiving any.

Just tested and the parser will convert both decimal and octal values to thier dotted quad equivalent. Hex will not work, however.

If you look just above the paste-it-in-here-box, you'll see the mention of "single-line entry" .. this used to be a separate function, now incorporated into the one window. A single-line entry (IP address, e-mail address) will do a lookup for a reporting address. Anything more than a single-line invokes the actual spam parser, which would have generated a number of errors, lke spam not found, etc.

If you look just above the paste-it-in-here-box, you'll see the mention of "single-line entry" .. this used to be a separate function, now incorporated into the one window.  A single-line entry (IP address, e-mail address) will do a lookup for a reporting address.  Anything more than a single-line invokes the actual spam parser, which would have generated a number of errors, lke spam not found, etc.

18821[/snapback]

Ah, I missed that bit of text.

It does look like the single line parser has a problem though. That string is in no way am ip address, even as a decimal representation. Unless the sl-parser allows for modulus arithmetic.

...Stu

A lot of decoding stuff has been incorporated into the SpamCop parser (note that Julian offers credits to Joel for this work) .... Spammers used all kinds of this crap throughout the ages, but the issue fell down to that the various browsers didn't all do the same things with them .. decodong them differently, not dealing with them at all, etc .... so the current basis these days is that "shooting for the common denominator" mode which implies targetting the way IE handles these "encoded" URLs.

Archived