Held Mail missing

The emails which are actually present in my Held Mail basket on the spamcop server do not match the held mails which are listed in the email summary which is set to me listing the emails which are supposedly in the Held Mail basket. This is of some concern because a couple of emails were wrongly classified as spam and hence presumably filtered in some way. I know this by looking through the 'held mail' summary which is emaild to me - noticed a couple of emails from my students. However, when I open the Held Mail folder on the server, these emails are nowhere to be seen. They are not present on the server, so obviously I'm unable to access them and white-list them etc.

Can you please explain why emails listed in the Held Mail summary are not actually present in the Held Mail folder

Peter

Have to wait for someone else .. I've not heard of or even sure why there'd be such a thing as an "e-mail summary of a Folder content list" ... while we're waiting, what type of connection are you using (web-mail via browser, IMAP, POP, ????) what tools are involved (OS, applications, etc.)

If you recognize the e-mails on this summary list, why isn't there enough data to white-list them?

Dear Wazoo,

Thanks for the reply,

The summary email i mention is sent to me automatically by spamcoop - it's an automatic facility - a 'Held Mail Report' email which spamcop sends me each day supposedly listing all the mail which has been identified as probably spam and hence has been diverted into my spamcop Held Mail folder. Yes, you are right, I do have enough information to white list the sender. It's just that (1) I'm wondering what happened to the apparently missing emails and (2) more importantly, I'd like to know, as a general principle, why emails listed in the 'Held Mail Report' email from spamcop are not actually present in the Held Mail folder on the spamcop server - I'm just concerned that's there's some sort of glitch by which some Held Mail is being deleted or diverted before I can check whether it is, in fact, spam after all.

Peter

cqmail.net,Nov 26 2004, 06:42 AM]The emails which are actually present in my Held Mail basket on the spamcop server do not match the held mails which are listed in the email summary which is set to me listing the emails which are supposedly in the Held Mail basket.  This is of some concern because a couple of emails were wrongly classified as spam and hence presumably filtered in some way. I know this by looking through the 'held mail' summary which is emaild to me - noticed a couple of emails from my students. However, when I open the Held Mail folder on the server,  these emails are nowhere to be seen. They are not present on the server, so obviously I'm unable to access them and white-list them etc.

Can you please explain why emails listed in the Held Mail summary are not actually present in the Held Mail folder

Peter

20579[/snapback]

The only case where this would not be a real problem is if you have some sort of filter setup to move these messages so the message is in your held mail until you log into webmail, then the filter finds the message and transfers it out. You do not mention the use of webmail or filters, however.

Have you tried to access the Held Mail folder from your desktop using IMAP?

The only other suggestion I could make would be to contact JT (support<at>spamcop.net) and ask him to look into it.

Archived