Is that a kind of abuse?

pierre

We run a list, I don't know how to call it now as I learn more every day. Let say it's a "unique-token-confirmed-opt-in" list :huh: we can't call it double opt-in as we send a unique token but not the client IP... :lol:

A person, lets call this person John register to our list:

- he receives a confirmation email (email 1).

John click on the confirmation link.

- he receives an email (email 2) confirming his confirmation along with a link to change his preferences and to unsubscribe.

What does john?

He reports 'email 2' as spam using one computer (IP 1)... we got a munged report but with the token we are able to remove and black list John.

Few hours later he reports 'email 1' as spam using another computer (IP 2)...

Do you thing that was enough? No

He registers using IP 1 and a new email address and re-play the game again...

Why? not a clue... may be someone who has time to loose. :blink:

We trace both IPs to the Netherland and added coding to our list to not only black list emails but also IPs.

Cost of spam is really on both side of the fence, users and list owners.

We run a list, I don't know how to call it now as I learn more every day. Let say it's a "unique-token-confirmed-opt-in" list  :huh: we can't call it double opt-in as we send a unique token but not the client IP...  :lol: 

21027[/snapback]

...IIUC, that's what is called "confirmed opt-in." Seems like you are doing exactly the right thing -- thank you! :) <g>

A person, lets call this person John register to our list:

- he receives a confirmation email (email 1).

John click on the confirmation link.

- he receives an email (email 2) confirming his confirmation along with a link to change his preferences and to unsubscribe.

What does john?

He reports 'email 2' as spam using one computer (IP 1)... we got a munged report but with the token we are able to remove and black list John.

Few hours later he reports 'email 1' as spam using another computer  (IP 2)...

<snip>

21027[/snapback]

...From your description, John is in violation of the rules of SpamCop and is subject to disciplinary action. Please see SpamCop FAQ: I have been falsely and/or maliciously accused of spamming, what can I do? for more information.

Pierre, you have had this happen a few times. What list are you talking about? What IP? If what you say is true and there is no reason to disbelieve you then those with the capabilities here could research this.  :D

21031[/snapback]

Let's see if he/she has anything to hide! ;)

Cost of spam is really on both side of the fence, users and list owners.

And that's why receivers of spam and reporters of spam should be on the same side of the fence as legitimate list owners. A lot of good ideas have been nullified by the spammers such as the "email this to a friend" That's why I am always surprised that list owners are not advocates of blocklists - not only the ones that are in existance, but not finding ways to create blocklists that help them.

I hope you did go to the FAQ suggested and get to the bottom of it. It may be miscommunication between users of a computer as well as the child's wish to do something parents don't approve. However, a list owner of a 'paid' list complained that 'paying' customers reported the list as spam so you never know what someone may do or why.

Miss Betsy

Archived