Parser Stops Reading Received Headers Too Early!

turetzsr

...TRACKING URL for parse of spam I submitted by forwarding to my secret e-mail address: http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z701233691z6a...16b3ce56ee396az. This parse stopped too early, thus wanting to LART my employer's abuse address (actually postmaster[at] ...). However, the following Received addresses follow the ones it did parse:

Received: from +¦¦T¦µ ([211.58.70.161]unverified) by usbb-lacimss1 with InterScan Messaging Security Suite; Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:02:13 -0500
Received: from zealot.UMKC.EDU (zealot.UMKC.EDU)
[tab] by zealot.UMKC.EDU (zealot.UMKC.EDU) with ESMTP
[tab] id XSD76009767X; Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:51:36 -0600

That first one looks odd but when I cut and pasted into the two-part web form, the parser had no problem with it: http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z701237359z65...174a45f9e700bez.

...Any thoughts? Foulup by my employer's system (Exchange 2003)? Worth my sending to the deputies?

...TRACKING URL for parse of spam I submitted by forwarding to my secret e-mail address:  http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z701233691z6a...16b3ce56ee396az.  This parse stopped too early, thus wanting to LART my employer's abuse address (actually postmaster[at] ...).  However, the following Received addresses follow the ones it did parse:
Received: from +¦¦T¦µ ([211.58.70.161]unverified) by usbb-lacimss1 with InterScan Messaging Security Suite; Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:02:13 -0500
Received: from zealot.UMKC.EDU (zealot.UMKC.EDU)
[tab] by zealot.UMKC.EDU (zealot.UMKC.EDU) with ESMTP
[tab] id XSD76009767X; Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:51:36 -0600

That first one looks odd but when I cut and pasted into the two-part web form, the parser had no problem with it: http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z701237359z65...174a45f9e700bez.

...Any thoughts?  Foulup by my employer's system (Exchange 2003)?  Worth my sending to the deputies?

21241[/snapback]

I seem to be totally confused. The format of the header following all the unisys server headers that pass around the email is not a format recognizable by the parser. Whatever you copy/pasted to get it to work must have contained a received header that looked rational?

It appears that your forwarding methodology encoded

into
Received: =?iso-8859-1?Q?_from_+=A6=A6T=A6=B5_=28=5B211=2E58=2E70=2E161=5Dunverif?=

=?iso-8859-1?Q?ied=29_by_usbb-lacimss1_with_InterScan_Messaging_Security_?=

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Suite=3B_Fri=2C_10_Dec_2004_15=3A02=3A13_-0500?=

when it shouldn't have. Have you tried forwarding using a different encoding and/or swapping between body and attachment?

OTOH, why didn't the email reporting to parsing conversion decode that Line correctly?

Hi, Ellen!

I seem to be totally confused. The format of the header following all the unisys server headers that pass around the email is not a format recognizable by the parser. Whatever you copy/pasted to get it to work must have contained a received header that looked rational?

21243[/snapback]

...Not sure why you are confused nor about which parse you are confused. Is it what I included in the "code" section of my post here or what is in one of the tracking URLs? If the latter, I can't speak to what happened -- you may have to ask Julian. As to the former, I copied the headers exactly as they are displayed in my Microsoft Outlook 2003 client (Exchange 2003 Server) when I display them with View | Options (in the Internet headers section). The latter is also what I copied and pasted into the web submission form whose parse is represented by the second of my tracking URLs.

Hi, Jeff G!

It appears that your forwarding methodology encodedintowhen it shouldn't have.  Have you tried forwarding using a different encoding and/or swapping between body and attachment?

21247[/snapback]

...No. Not quite sure why you believe that would be a reasonable course of action....

OTOH, why didn't the email reporting to parsing conversion decode that Line correctly?

21247[/snapback]

...Exactly!

Hi, Ellen!...Not sure why you are confused nor about which parse you are confused.  Is it what I included in the "code" section of my post here or what is in one of the tracking URLs?  If the latter, I can't speak to what happened -- you may have to ask Julian.  As to the former, I copied the headers exactly as they are displayed in my Microsoft Outlook 2003 client (Exchange 2003 Server) when I display them with View | Options (in the Internet headers section).  The latter is also what I copied and pasted into the web submission form whose parse is represented by the second of my tracking URLs.

21303[/snapback]

Paste in a copy of the spam with headers to my address below and also the tracking url and let us smash it around. Very strange.

Hi, Ellen!...Done.  E-mail subject is "Re: Parser Stops Reading Received Headers Too Early!"

...TY! :) <g>

21362[/snapback]

Thanks Julian and I muttered over this for a considerable time this morning and he was still muttering when I went off to do something else :-) That usually means a fix is in progress.

Archived